1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Has anyone rooted their Android phone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 7 Aug 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have an app that needs root access but unfortunately it appears I don't have this. I've found a few guides but I've found that some seem to be missing key steps or even contradict each other. Plus there's the ever present risk of bricking the thing. Currently I'm in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mind frame. My phone is an Xperia Z2 by the way.

Does anyone have experience in these matters?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Not specifically with the Z2 but I've rooted (and installed aftermarket firmware) on all my android phones. It's certainly worth doing in my opinion, though probably worth checking if it voids your warranty (some do some don't). If I remember correctly rooting an Xperia is relatively painless and there was an automated tool which did it all for you at one point.

Pete J likes this.
  3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Pete J likes this.
  4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Rooted every android I've ever had too. Its not difficult. Just pay attention and follow the steps exactly. To minimize any risks, don't do it with a flat battery.

Pete J likes this.
  5. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Agreed with the others.
    Rooted a Hanspree tablet, and 4 Sensations.

Even managed to bring one of the Sensations back from the dead this week after a terrible failed flash attempt.

Use guides on the XDA-Dev forums linked by Play_boy.
    Chances of completely bricking it are slim, just do make sure you follow every step to the letter.

Note, you'll lose some apps if you do this, banking ones specifically (this is why my Nexus 5 is stock).

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Rooted a few now...

Just find a decent guide and read it a couple of times first. Initially it seems slightly complicated (exaggerated hugely by the danger of bricking it) but once you get down to it, it really is quite simple. As long as you follow some precautions (like having a decent amount of battery as stated above) you should be all good.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Cheers for the reply so far guys, I shall research a bit further at the weekend.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

9. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The easiest way I've found to root my phone is to install TWRP on it via fastboot, then installing SuperSu through that. There are many guides describing similar or even identical methods, so I won't try and (fail to) explain it here. The one bit that differs between phones is unlocking the bootloader - on Google Nexus devices it is really easy, not so on other phones so I am told.

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

A weird requirement I've run into when rooting my old Samsung Droid Charge is that header usb ports wouldn't recognize the phone properly. I had to plug directly into a motherboard port.

11. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Rooted all my Android phones too, play_boy_2000 has linked you well.

As Nealieboyee as already said, definitely make sure the battery is charged when doing it. Personally I just keep the phone on charge whilst doing a ROOT.

On a side note, how have you found the Z2 to be in usage? Sluggish, quick/snappy? Been looking at it myself.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Got sidetracked at the weekend so I've not looked into it. I certainly appreciate the advice from everyone!
    Personally, I love it but I knew exactly what I wanted it to do - which it does. Which would be:

• Decent sized screen for movies on the go.
    • Can handle 128GB microSD cards for a shedload of movies.
    • Powerful enough to play any Android game full pelt at 1080p.
    • Waterproof and durable enough to survive me.
    • Can use as a hotspot (which I'm literally doing this very moment).
    • Decent camera.
    • Awesome battery life

For an Android phone it's fairly snappy - it takes a while to notice you've turned the screen but no more than any other Android phone. If you tend to transfer lots of stuff via USB on a regular basis you may want to look elsewhere as you have to keep putting the little cover off and on - I transfer things via bluetooth most of the time and have a desktop charger.

13. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd