1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Has anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Cena, 9 Jun 2005.

1. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

http://unixsucks.com/

It's a site about how good Microsoft is and why Unix/Linux sucks. It has some pretty good points btw. What do you all think of it?

2. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

lame. The site seems to attack uninformed UNIX/Linux users more than the os's. It's mostly bad arguments for/against either side.

3. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

concur, this guy probably works in tech support or something where he doesn't actually use copmuters

4. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

5. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

from what it looks like they bad mouth linux because it 'cost' more, although microsoft did a comparison on cost, but for using linux they added on about 30-40% to train retards to learn how to use it, since believe it or not many people who use computers would struggle to download and install a program, then make an icon on the desktop...

6. Pure_Acid

Pure_Acid What's a Dremel?

Some interesting reading ahead for me. :)

7. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Just read most of it, all his arguments have more holes than Swiss cheese I'm afraid.

8. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

At last, someone is not against Windows. Nowadays, it is quite fashionable to say "Linux is cool". If you are into IT subjects, you cannot say "Windows is cool". I do not understand why.

9. TonyBurn

TonyBurn What's a Dremel?

For someone with soo many certificates and soo much experience of different aspects of computing, i'd have thought he'd have made a better site then that ;)

10. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Why can't people just get the hell over that it's about what individuals choose to use, instead of mindlessly defending either side as if their operating system was some sort of deeply personal facet of their personality.

At the end of the day you can only ever attack an operating system if the company or persons responsible decide to attack another especially when that involves spreading misinformation and other brute-force tactics. Which is most right-thinking persons beef with Microsoft (N.B. Microsoft != Windows).

11. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

There called Fanboys mate :) Go ahed and say windows is the best if you think it is.

My only expericance of linux etc. is setting up a dual boot system for a mate then him getting more and more pissed off with it untill he then starts telling my how utterly crap linux is in comparison to windows. Windows does the job for me pretty well so i dont see any reason to change.

Sound like the guy on that site is simply living in the real world

Edit: acrim explains it perfectly^^

(Heh i love it when the linux nerds get pissed off :D )

12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

theres the linux is cool club, the c is cool club, and the bsd is cooler than everything club.
    its quite insaine some peoples arguements, its hilarious when you see people who are doing same/similar projects at uni and one is a zealot, the zealot invariable fails, or just dosen't impress.

13. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Windows is number 1 for a reason, IT PWNS!

:worried:

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Posts like that are exactly the reason I don't want to be associated with windows.

As I see it, Linux is better than Windows for one simple reason- it is a complete operating system made by the community of PC enthusiasts and it will constantly evolve to better suit what real PC users want.

L J

15. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

and this is just as bad as the qoute you replied to.

just a couple of things,

1>Windows is also a complete OS
    2> most of the coders for MS are "true PC Enthusiast"
    3> it is still evolving
    4> and it is right now better suited for what real pc users want and do

I am so damn tired of all the Elitest ******** that alot of Linux users have because they "run a real OS" that i could just scream. Hell i run a "Real OS" too or does HP-UX not count as a real OS, what about the many SCO servers at work, what about the many OS-X machines at work. I use at home not only Winders, but Linux (a few flavors) and SCO. Untill Linux gets not only alot easier to install, and to upgrade, you may not like liveupdate but it works quickly and cleanly 99.5% of the time. Untill Linux gets alot better office intergration ( not just the application but the work enviornment) and it becomes a lot more intuitive to work with, and it starts to be more then a minnor nich OS it will never achive mainstream intergrations.

16. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

yup, dagamore i could send you some videos of some projects with 3rd years master program students were doing, the ones who used linux came up against the god awful HAL, no decent debugger, and complete lack of a good RAD for prototyping. Was absolutelty hilarious as they were trying to claim the NT based ones just had "better programmers" rather than "people who didn't have a rod so far up they get longwave"

I don't know if Heir Sanders was ment to be a joke, but its is kinda, who do you trust, a structure lacking, group of "i know best" who "i'm not been paid for this" and "want to make the world a better place/get fame" or a buisness who's seeing its monopoly slide, which spends millions talking to customers OEMs and silicon people, to see what can be done to help people. The company is very streamlined has a clear direction and management, its their way of the high way, no infighting (see X vrs sockets) becuase the project has a clear direction. I mean if i was having to use linux as a desktop OS, i'd be getting infriuated by all the differn't projects having their own direction, meaning the whole is completely lacking.

Have you seen the linux support for the tablet PC? Tablets are becomming smaller lighter, better batterylife all the time, and scince SP2 of XP, tablet input has kicked arse. If you've not seen one since SP2, go have a play, i've yet to find something better for when i'm desiginging stuff, i now don't own any paper, and only 2 pens, which were both gifts. That evil monopoly!

The biggest thing about linux, I've been debugging things (think cracking but legal) in interpreted asm for the last 4 years very happily. I know enough to make an OS, hell i've written a pre-emptive multi tasking one which even had support for hardware abstraction (that was a fun week(!)). Linux/BSD pisses me off because they don't do anything for you, its like half the fun is fetching the iteams making the image, going through the painfully slow install procedure, patching because i got lazy and used the image from 8 months ago. Finding that a simple no windowing commandline based web/mail server takes 140meg of patches. No offense, but that dosen't challenge me, it pisses me off! I know it might provide some "testing" so ultra lesser users fail, but people, its like wanking only without the orgasam. (oh crap my lifes come to this, god i'm lonely having to do this, erk, i thought i was beyound this when i went to uni, i can't belive i've not been invited to a party and i'm left with this to do out of sheer boredem ergh, its been 45 minuites now, when will it end, i just want to be happy).

Thats anothing thing, the omg windows is teh insecure. Bollocks, i have to patch the windows boxes less than i do a debian box.

now when u get a fanboy at uni, my god. Yes at uni there are Dr's and Prof's who know less about something than you will do, but when one of them is in charge of running the schools network, including the solaris mainframe, as well as the windows network. He *might* be just a *little* *tiny* *bit* more knowledgeable on the subject than you. Sure he might not of spent last night compiling a kernel, but dang! he's just not as cool as you. I just can't understand why they feal the need to spread the word? Their like jahova whitenesses, do they only get to cuddle tux in heavan for all eternitity if they stop 100,000 people from using an OS that costs money?

Now just so people know, i currently have / on 7 boxes that are remote, 2 windows, 3 debian, 2 freebsd. As such i know about all the benefits of linux.

In my room, i've currently got my tablet (tablet XP) my laptop (XP pro) my Desktop (has a bunch of OS on each drive HDDs currently its in (XP pro)) my domain server (windows 2003) my firewall + wireless lan control box (m0n0wall - bsd)

now its only the m0n0wall box that i never log onto. What does that tell you? I've clearly got the spare hardware for linux box, i just don't need it, i've got licesnses for all the OS's. When i take my dualie into OpenBSD, it takes time to maximize a window in firefox, i actually have to wait a fractino of a second. Worse if i'm doing something cpu time wise. Thats a cardinal sin. My main box, mustn't lag, it pisses me off, so i turn all the visuals down, still lags, its the actual content of the page and its tool bars. X pisses me off, big time.

Now i touch type, but i like a windowing system, its just easyer to say i want that information in that corner of that screen with a mouse (or better yet a tablet). But to have such a piss poor one, is a fundimental flaw imo. As such i do use it for servers, but it would never do for anything else. I did spend 6 weeks stripping down, optermising Damn Small Linux to run on an eden V5000 (533mhz cpu). Couldn't get it to run nicely on my 1280*1024 screen. It just lagged on everything. NT4: about 1 hour of non-stop-patching (be fair its 9years old!) and perfect. Absolutely perfect, no lag, very fast to respond to everything, and can run all the stuff i want on my silent PC! (but takes more CF than DSL).

This is the thing, i just want to use whats best, i've many jobs and i can afford the £60 license required for XP Pro, £10 for NT4. Now yes, windows cost me money, why? Because i was able to finish my project early and i went out and spent money, windows also made my head hurt as i had a hangover. Damn, if only i'd had linux to keep me there for anythose 5 hours!

17. RTT

RTT #parp

well, i'm glad that's over.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Windows is cool :thumb: :worried:

I like windows.. i know how to use it and it behaves the way i want... why replace something that works? All crashes i have on xp machines is 3rd party software and hardware faults.

Microsofts other software isn't always that good (msn messenger 7. (waaaay to much smilys and colors... and it doesn'tlet me do stuff) and iexplorer basicly sucks.)

19. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Bullocks

20. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

take that back... it's down to microsoft having the mononononoply

since hardly anyone uses linux most games and programs are designed for windows, along with everything being designed for windows on the internet too...

if you can get the programs you want in linux you have to put much more effort in compared with any old retard who can click download, then next a few times...

microsoft stole the internet and the retarded users along with some programmers to make it retarded compatible...

intel stole the oem's and a real meaning of how fast a cpu is....

Tags: