1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haswell heat surprises system builders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

My i5 2500K is overclocked to 4.9ghz 24/7 but I use offset voltage to reduce wear. Max temp for me is 67c.

It seems things are kind of going downhill with Intel.

All they need to do now is kill off CPU sockets and start welding every CPU to motherboard.

Actually they could extend that to welding the CPU cooler to the CPU...

:)

Last edited: 6 Jun 2013
  2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Which is pretty similar to the overclock on my i5 3570k... I run at 4.7ghz 24/7 using offset overclocking method and as far as I am aware have not seen anything too shockingly high either. (I went from the i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz also)

I was convinced I was going to have to do the IHS removal... but, in the end, I was comfortable with the temps as is until I approach the end of my warranty.

And when I hit the end of the warranty period, I will be more than happy to remove that IHS and pump it up to ~5ghz. (It's not too bad a chip overclock wise looking around at others on the web)

3. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

I can vouch for this, a friend had a 4770k and had it returned after reaching 100C in regular overclocking (with a H100)

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Why does everyone threaten to switch back to amd from socket 2011 platforms thats just asking for a 50% downgrade in prorgrams outside of games.

You would have to be insane to do it. I could understand if you had a slower system than what AMD has launched by the x79 sandy systems destroy any AMD system in every test ive seen. You know something the rest of us dont and AMD making a wonder chip for us to all envy ?

Whats classed as regular overclocking 5ghz? 1.5vcore? seen alot of people assuming 5ghz is normal but if what i remember is accurate only early sandy chips hit 5ghz most hit 4.9 and that was there wall and required a high vcore to get it which resulted in 100c temps on most of those chips.

No ivy chip has ever hit 5ghz without a resonable voltage increase 1.4-1.5 is the general amount found around the web. Even then the Wall for Ivy was 4.7ghz.

So what are they putting through these chips to hit 100c? Seems to me like Manufactures might actually have to get some effort into overclocking again instead of the crap they usauly spam, Scan ocuk are two of the worst at this in the uk ( anandtech runs rampant on companies that do the same thing as well), People review there systems and none of them are using offset voltages and all could be undervolted from 0.1 to 0.9 vcore on the stock and tested that they banged into it.

From my point of view anything north of 4.4ghz and 1.3vcore requires a full on loop not a poxy h100i which despite claims to the world is not a replacement for a full blown water cooling setup.

Most of the reviews of pre built systems with overclocks always state the same thing the overclock is very poorly done and not using offsets, If you take 10mins yourself you can reduce the vcore and set some offsets.

Most people ive overclocked for do not need the performance they want it as a figure to brag to there m8s my cpu does 5ghz ect.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Kind of have to agree with you there rollo. Switching back to AMD is counter-intuitive.

And those pre-overclocked bundles, like you say, time and time again come overvolted and not using the offset mode.

My ivy 3570k though is sat around ~1.3v for 4.7ghz. But as you say, it requires a wc loop to tame it.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

90% of people wouldn`t notice in there rigs if the 2011 IB-E was swapped out to an A10 APU.... so a moot point

already been done on a blind test.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Where? (out of curiosity, not argumentativeness.)

It's all relative. Like I was trying to say in the Richland review thread, nothing is that simple. Sometimes, good enough and a specific feature set is all that is required.

9. Stanley Tweedle

I'm probably in the 10% because I notice immediately if my CPU is down-clocked to 4.2ghz. Everything is more sluggish. Not slow... just not lightning fast I get at 4.9ghz.

"Why does everyone threaten to switch back to amd from socket 2011 platforms thats just asking for a 50% downgrade in prorgrams outside of games. " << because intel have threatened to weld CPU's to motherboard and perhaps get rid of user overclocking completely.

10. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

Well, there's a simple solution to that:

Put more damn cores on the chip to make it bigger!

11. rollo

rollo Modder

So you would go to a slower system that's slower than all socket 2011 systems even if they stock and the AMD Chip is fully oced you enjoy that I would not.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

And they if they wanted to do so, they'd do it anyway... and no-one at intel would lose any sleep over the matter...

i'm with rollo... overclocking has been taken for granted... the Core 2 Duos and early i7s [like my 920] could be pushed so high, so easily that the act of overclocking was reduced to typing a couple of numbers into the bios [for most people]... and in the event you do go too far... a quick button press and all is forgiven...

think back to when overclocking required short circuiting stuff on the processor and you ran the very real risk of breaking stuff if you messed it up... when overclocking required thought, skill and often a smidge of luck... all for a few Mhz... the overclockers of yesterday would most likely tell you to quit your whining... any speed bump you can get out of the chip is welcome and never guaranteed...

so... quit your whining...

13. Stanley Tweedle

As things stand at the moment I would still stay with Intel. I've never owned an AMD cpu but I was 2 inches from buying one some years ago until Intel released the first core duo or something (it's all vague and wishy washy in my head now). I do read up on AMD once in a while to see where they're headed.

I just think that if Intel ever do completely kill manual overclocking then I might just go to AMD.

Regarding this particular thermal issue I'd actually quite like the challenge of seeing how far I can cool the Haswell. That's probably not a good enough reason for me to ditch existing mobo and cpu though.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If the AMD chip could still cope, then probably yeah.
    Some people want different things out of computers.

15. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

I wonder how well Haswell undervolts. I'm not interested in 10-20% speed boost at the cost of significantly higher temperatures but I do like to run my CPU at stock speed, undervolted as far as it will go. Not a single Haswell review I've seen so far has tackled this question :(

16. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

And to think some people found it amusing my new uber build is based around a Z77 board and a 2600K...

I'll say no more :hehe:

17. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Cheers for this Rollo I have an i5 with H100i to setup this weekend and will post my results in the hardware thread. I'm not expecting miracles but a nice overclock will do for now.

18. Stanley Tweedle

Dude... I was overclocking back in the days of DX25 or whatever it was called. I used to do extreme overclocking wearing nothing but underpants for protection.

19. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Is that water cooled?

My 2700k (see sig), hits 85c when I overclock to 4.9ghz. That's on air (Thermalright silver arrow cooler).

I reckon I could easily clear 5ghz, if I could keep the heat down.

20. Stanley Tweedle

Yup, liquid. 85c is pretty good at 4.9ghz with HT I would say. Presumably the temps would drop about 10c if HT was disabled? (not that you'd want to but just for comparison).