1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haswell heat surprises system builders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2013.

1. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I might try later if I get a chance. The only problem is its actually quite warm this evening, for a change, so it will mess up my ambient temps.

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I looked up your air cooler... It's a monster. :)

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yes, it practically fills my whole case lol

4. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Can't say I am surprised with this after Ivy. Haswell isn't a whole new chip, rather an upgrade of Ivy.

I love my 3770k, but I couldn't dream of running it as I do if I hadn't de-lidded it. Once I did, the load temps dropped by 20 degrees. Running at 4.6ghz the max I hit is 60deg now.

If Haswell runs slightly hotter than Ivy, then I'm really not surprised at this report. It's a shame though as they are such good chips.

5. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Hmm, still waiting for a reason to upgrade my 4ghz phenom 2, this doesn't help.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Another 10% improvement, with more heat? Fiver says that the next generation is another 10% faster, and runs yet hotter still.

Damn I wish AMD could compete, doesn't help they've got less total income than Intel does Research funding.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As far as i can see the heat issues are only going to get worse, as the die's keep shrinking it gets harder and harder to remove the heat from the smaller surface area.
    It makes me wounder how far Mores law can go before physics becomes a problem :(

8. Xir

Xir Modder

That's been an ongoing concern for the last few decades, somehow, it's held up quite well :D
    (remember the 1Ghz barrier?....naah you probably wouldn't)

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Kev, get it wet. Nuff said. ;)

On topic:
    A ceiling of 4.2-4.4GHz means an overclocked SB chip can perform faster. Whoops.

My bargain basement 2500K is looking pretty good right now.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013
  10. Stanley Tweedle

Well I did some AIDA64 benchmark tests last week and my 4.9ghz 2500k is still at the top of a lot of the benchmarks.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sadly i do but as far as i remember that wasn't because of heat issues, but for all i know dementia could be setting in :hehe:

The problem has already caused Intel to stop using solder for the TIM, and its a issue cause by physics in that you can only remove X amount of heat from Y surface area.

Unless a better way of removing heat from the ever decreasing size of CPU die's is found, or we change the laws of nature we are all Doomed, Doomed i tell you :hehe:

12. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So much hate for AMD :(

I just bought a FX 8320 for £113 and I'm having tons of fun with it. Really shines in Crysis 3 and haven't met a game it can't run at acceptable levels :)

13. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

and back to Prescott thermal hell we go!

14. Stanley Tweedle

I think people will go with whatever gives the most performance. At one time that was AMD. I remember when all my friends had AMD processors. I was one of the few with intel and I lost in most benchmarks to their CPUs.

15. AlienwareAndy

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Everyone wishes AMD could compete but it won't happen anymore.

17. AlienwareAndy

See my price to performance comparison above. AMD are winning right now, and offer two of the best value CPUs per pound/performance in the world.

What's nice is you don't even notice that they're slower in games. In Crysis 3 I demolished my old Xeon E3 (I5 2400) with my overclocked FX :)

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Without wishing to sound like a sheep, if I were building a gaming rig to a budget today I'd still choose the 2500K with a 20% overclock.

Games just don't need any more and won't for quite a while. Outside of gaming then yes, there are faster options if you need them.

19. AlienwareAndy

Hmm. With this impasse Intel find themselves in it would be nice if AMD can improve upon Piledriver (with Steamroller) the same way that they improved upon Bulldozer.

If they do they'll be right up Intel's chuff, and I bet their chips will be as cheap as chips (groan).

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

im not so sure I5 2500K isnt cheaper than haswell. Id like to see the comparison though between the overclocks posbbile on air, not your stupid overclocks just bog standard everyday achievable ones.

something like I5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz vs a 4670K @4.2-4.