1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hauppage 500 MCE & MythTV question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sozialcyke, 7 Jul 2005.

1. Sozialcyke

Sozialcyke What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of building a HTPC. Currently I'm in the hardware research phase, since I can't be in the hardware purchase phase do to lack of funds :)

I want the capability to record one show while watching another, so, as I understand it, I'll be needing either 2 tuner cards or a card that supports 2 feeds. The Hauppage 250 seems to be the defacto tv tuner, but looking at hardware I noticed the Hauppage WinTv-PVR 500 MCE. It seems like it's got the same functionality, but adds an FM tuner and 2 feed capability.

I'm planning on running MythTV for my PVR software, and was wondering if anyone has a setup of this running a Hauppage 500? I can't find, after some quick searches (sorry, impatience gets the best of me some time) any reference to V4L compatibility for the Hauppage 500. Anyone know if this card is support under linux/MythTV? I'll do some research later tonight, more into this, and if I find an answer I'll post it.

BTW, the reason I don't want to go with 2 Tuner Cards is nto only cost, but I plan on bulding a mini-itx system, which at most has only 1 PCI slot, so 2 tuners would be out of the question (Barring an external USB tuner, but I hear those are crap).

If you can read this, you must have been bored enough to read the rest....

2. Sozialcyke

Well, I think I have found my answer. It seems that the 500 MCE contains 2 150 chips. I would assume if the 150 chips work under Linux, then the 500 would also? Flawed thinking?

Anyways, MCE denotes Media Center Edition, as these cards were designed for Win MCE. That doesn't mean that that is the ONLY OS they will run in though, just that the IR Remote has been removed. No biggie, as I plan on using a wireless keyboard for my "remote" anyways.

Post on this if you want, but I believe I have my answer. Only time and money will tell, of course, when I'm able to actually buy the card.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Have you found the MythTV forum?

A qoute from a thread about the 500MCE

4. Sozialcyke

For some reason, MythTV's servers are down for me. THAT would have been the first place I went to :) I'll check to see if I can reach them now. Thanks, though, for the info