1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Have I borked my BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackerthanblack, 23 Mar 2006.

1. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I recently decided to o/c my ati 9700np after reading on various forums that others had got nice increases. So I bought an arctic cooler and some arctic silver 5, installed it and all went well. But I still couldn't o/c (or underclock) so I assumed I had one of the locked bios's. I flashed to a 9700 pro bios and it looked like I could clock the card ok. But now that its flashed I can't run any 3d app.

When testing on aquamark/3dmark, it will run for 3 to 5 seconds and then freeze. In the games I've tried it will freeze in the menu.

I runs perfectly in windows and I tried re-flashing back to the original, and restoring an old disk image of windows. I tried underclocking the cpu and measuring the voltage from a molex (steady at about 5.4V and 12.9V), since I thought it might be the power supply.

Is it time I upgraded my trusty card? :waah:

Thing is, even before this, I was running old drivers since I only recently discovered that when updating my drivers I had to lower the refresh rate after installation, but before I increased the res, then up the refresh rate again after that.

2. DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER What's a Dremel?

Try substantially lowering the core and ram clocks and see if it stablizes. If it does then at least you know its physically damaged/flakey.

3. blackerthanblack

I have tried it with 250 core / 250 mem (275/270 default) with ati tool, but i will try it tonight clocked down as far as I can.

I might even put the old hsf back on just to make sure :worried:

4. blackerthanblack

Well I set my clocks down to 180 for the core and mem, and its still the same. I was hoping for some cool bios hack but it looks like I'll be looking for a gto and selling off my a/c cooler now :waah:

Tags: