1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Have I Destroyed My Motherboard/CPU?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Promethus, 29 Oct 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ Diellur,

Actually there is a direct link between voltage and heat - thats why using LN2 and dry ice allow overclockers to push their systems much harder. Of course degradation occurs at some point, but like you say it happens over time.

In my experience 1.5v has never killed any CPU, but it is definitely risky from a heat perspective - if temps are not kept in check and if the cooling isn't up to scratch, it shouldn't be attempted. With my current system I use a max of 1.6 vcore and 1.6 VTT when benching, and it's perfectly fine; however I wouldn't do it in the long term, and I do have the very best air cooling available (none of the 140mm crap with wimpy "silent" fans ;)) and I use chilled air too.

2. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Isn't all air in Scotland chilled? :p

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Hahahah :D Unfortunately not - last winter the air temp fell below -10C which is proper chilly; this winter has been warm by comparison, with ambients as high as 12C in late friggin November!

But things are looking up - it went down to -5C on Monday night so things are finally returning to normal for winter!