1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Have laptop LCD and controller...need help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Autobot, 27 Jun 2004.

1. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Hey there folks! I was milling around a local electronics surplus store and ran across a lot of 12.1" Hannstar LCD screens. These screens were used in Toshiba laptops a few year ago. They were pulls from the factory because of minor cosmetic flaws. To my suprise, these screens were only $3.00 each!!! Next to this wonderful finding, was another container that has analog-to-digital LCD controller cards! Those too were only $3.00. The owner of Wacky Willys surplus said that all the screens and controllers worked, its just they were pulls because of cosmetic flaws. He said that some of the LCD screens may have a bad pixel on them, but otherwise work. The best thing is that the rejection notes from the factory were still in the bubble-wrapped anti-static bags listing just what was wrong with them. I picked up one that was labeled as having a minor swirl mark. Anywaaaays, I've now got my hands on a Hannstar HSD121PS11 CCFL backlit TFT SVGA color LCD screen and a TopVision LL015 analog-to-digital lcd controller card. Now my question is, how the heck do I get these things to work? Here are some pictures of the units themselves....

This is the controller card with close-ups of all the connectors. Anyone know if any of these connectors supply power for CCFL backlighting?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of the LCD screen. The last 2 pictures show the data/power connector for the LCD and the CCFL wiring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Get the datasheets for both the controller card and the LCD.
    Do you have an inverter for the LCD?

3. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Well yesterday I went back to the electronics surplus place and found that most of the LCD have been sold! ARGH!!! I did however get to pick up some LCD panels and controller cards. I got 4 more TopVision LL015 A/D LCD controller cards, 2 more Hannstar HSD121PS11 12.1" LCD screens, 2 Sharp LQ121S1DG11 12.1" Hi-Bright LCD screens and 1 Sharp LQ064A5CG01 6.4" LCD screen. As of yet, I have not gotten any information about the compatability of these controller cards and the LCDs. Here are some pics...

New stuff....
    [​IMG]

Back of Sharp LQ064A5CG01....
    [​IMG]

Back of Sharp LQ121S1DG11....
    [​IMG]

Also happened to run across a 2 year old TopVision 15" multi-media LCD monitor which turned out to only be $15 because it was an experimental piece! It actually has a purdy good image quality with a minimum of ghosting. Here is a picture of it on top of my case. It sits there because I don't have stand for it yet. :grr:
    [​IMG]

Oh...and here are some super-silent scroll fans I picked up. The 2 smaller ones would make for nice HDD cooling fans and the larger one can be used to blow across the motherboard like the blower fan on the CoolerMaster Stacker case.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, when I get some more info on these screens and how to get them running I'll let you all know. :D

4. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

omg
    I'm soo jealous :waah:
    why aren't there places like that in belgium

5. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

Or England! :wallbash: :sigh:

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

Or the Netherlands! That's funny 'Wacky Willys surplus' :hehe:

7. HRH_Nick

HRH_Nick What's a Dremel?

*Contemplates the possibility of wallpapering walls with LCD screens*

We don't get $3.00 LCD's down here! I've looked up LCD controllers and found that a lot of them are compatible with a fairly broad range of screens (at least from what I could gather), but documentation would obviously help your cause enormously.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

scroll fans! who have noone thought of those before? They are WERY silent, and move quite a bit of air aswell :) that would be perfect!