1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V have sky let slip my wifi enabled box?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jizwizard, 21 Aug 2013.

1. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Just had a second box installed in my house and the engineer gave me the new hd box with wifi built in. Thought these weren't due for a while?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Friend of mine with Sky has recently had one of those (Possibly) swapped in to replace something..

Not being a sky user I wasn't privy to the details, but they definitely had a new HD box and something wireless built in.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

streaming HD video over wifi? all I can say is good luck and hope the compression used is OK on the picture quality.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've had one of these for about 6 months (I'm on Sky's internal testing team) - to be honest, most of the content you'll be streaming will be through the OD service which is SD. Anything that's not will just buffer to buggery before letting you watching it, so should also be fine.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Does the box add anything material over the normal 2tb 895 save for the wi-fi, Tom?

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Newer software, but your box will get that eventually anyway. Also, by Wifi box is only 500GB - not 100% sure if we have 2TB Wifi boxes in the wild yet

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Fair news, buffering is defiantly required if you want to use Wifi. Thank you for the info.

Personally I like to use GB Ethernet for all my networking needs so much less hassle, especially with the 2.4GHz saturation and multi user issues.