1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Have you fallen prey to Bit-tech's mech keyboard obsession?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 9 Jun 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, total waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yes, although it was before the big thread.

For people who aren't sure about it, see if you can try one, they are (in my opinion) just so much nicer to type on, and since typing is something you do quite a lot of, it makes for a vastly nicer user experience.

Where to buy them? Places like scan have started stocking more, otherwise ebay is a possibility, some kbt boards are starting to appear on Amazon thanks to attarian.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Difficult to quantify, True_Gamer, they're often much nicer to type on, with much sharper response and a cleaner feel to the keys. Whereas most keyboards use rubber domes, so you get the odd softness to the keys that most of us are accustomed to.

Consider it like an SSD; You don't think you need one, then you get one, and wonder how you lived without.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So much, give it a try.

5. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I use my G15 for my normal gaming desktop, but my for-work diagnostic keyboard is a $0.99 PS/2 generic thing called a Turbo Plus that I got from a thrift store. Says it's from the late '80s, and I like it a lot.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Now that I have 3 mechanical keyboards, I've told a couple people in my gaming clan that if they want to try one out, all they have to do is pay shipping to get there and back ($15-$20). I've tried explaining how much better they feel, but until you've tried one, you just don't know. The only reason I bought one was because my rubber dome keyboard was starting to fail and I wanted to try something different. I did some research into keyboards and bought my first. I joined GH and now my wallet cries every night.

7. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

i would love to try one out. i think black switches would improve gameplay but cant find anyone near me with them instock to test.

scan have the corsair k90 which looks pretty sick deffo might have to check that out
    but has cherry switches

8. longweight

Where do you live?

9. donok

birmingham - may try computer show at motorcycle museum

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The shocking thing is that I have, in my store room at work a couple of original late 80's mech keyboards, the retro IBM stuff. People moved to the rubber domes as they felt better to type on, or so the legend goes. It's funny that just like fashion, which I don't understand, things have a habit of moving full circle.
    I like my wireless logitech keyboard. I like my tidy desk. I may have to dig out the keyboard from the store to bring home and test. Though the off white, dirty beige may need some attention first.

11. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

With Parge on this one...

12. donok

after checking scan prices are out of this world

£100-120 unless its really amazing to use which i cant see im going to stick to ordering logitech g110 for £50

although the corsair k60 looks very nice and £85

Last edited: 10 Jun 2012
  13. longweight

Lol.

14. longweight

Why is that price out of this world?

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I thought they moved to rubber domes since they were cheaper to produce?

And Donok you can spend half of that and get a cracking board. No need to spend £100+

16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Anyone that wants to know more, wants to try one for cheap, or just doesn't know where to buy them from just post in the mechanical keyboards thread!

It's there for a reason so spit out some help requests.

Cheers

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

MX Blacks are real cheap on german Ebay. Most cherry KB are Mechanic, but ML is not = MX! Be careful ML are OK but MX are the real deal.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I've honestly been interested for years. I never got a chance to actually get one though. Why? Money. I will though. That obesession has been around for ages for me. But I just never had the money to facilitate it.

hell I still need to get a G27.

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Not all mechanicals cost a lot of money. One of the best MX black boards you can get costs just £65 from Scan.

Others can cost even less - £30 and thereabouts. Again, if you're interested there's some people in the mechanical keyboards thread that have literally encyclopedic knowledge about the mechanical boards on the market today.

If you think all mechanicals cost £100 and that it won't make a difference to your daily life then get over there and learn something new!

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I must say, I'm not entirely convinced by the mechanical keyboard craze. I used to have an IBM model M keyboard a ways back (and used one at work for long enough... It wasnt an open office, needless to say) and loved everything about it apart from the almighty racket.

I recently needed a new keyboard - no gaming here, so would have been blues, and the noise was the only thing that put me off, and the relative difficulty in finding an ISO layout, with a numpad, and without a massive footprint and with a nice finish that would last. Okay, it was more than just the noise.

I ended with scissor keys. Heathen, I know.

I'm pretty tired of reading about them all over the forums tbh :p

There's not much hardware left now that can go through the transformation from being boring and utility, I can't think of anything else, really.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2012