1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD 5700 series max heat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by escafoxx, 22 Feb 2011.

1. escafoxx

escafoxx What's a Dremel?

Been using an ATI HD 5770 GPU for a few months now, so I get to thinking about looking at the max temp it gets to during a usual gaming session for the night, given that I've noticed the the on card fan is abit more audibale then usual

Max I've logged so far, using GPU-Z to find out, is about 90 Cels with my fan at 64%/3k RPM

This normal or is there something up with my fans on the card?

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Far over the misty mountains cold

When I had my 5770, the max I have noticed was around 78-80 for a big intense session off gaming. Maube your tower need a little bit more vantilation, sometime 1 single fan can do the difference

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Blow out any bust with some compressed air, and then check what temps are like :thumb:
    PS: Welcome to Bit-tech escafoxx & congrats on post No. 1000 TheBlackSwordsMan :)

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

the 5770 in my fiancees rig maxes out at 72c under furmark. most games see about 60c or so.

ive got a pretty aggressive fan profile set to it, but it usually doesnt go over 60% while gaming.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

My 5770's in crossfire max out at around 68C under Furmark, much less than that in a long gaming session. The fans never go above 60%.

It sounds to me like you either have a dusty heatsink around the GPU, your case does not have enough airflow or it is time to reapply the thermal paste to the card.

How old is it and when was it last cleaned out?

6. escafoxx

Not that old, half a year tops
    I did take the card out to clear the fans, but only gave it a once over with a cotton bud, will check it tomorrow to see if there was something I over looked
    CPU is fine for heat, if or not that'll denote general airflow of the whole case though :/

Last edited: 22 Feb 2011
  7. escafoxx

Just now tried adding another fan on the side panel near the GPU itself, still getting too hot within a few moments of stress testing
    Took the card out to check the stock cooler, not overly dusty, least not enough to cause issue I'd say
    So looking like its a re pasting is in order, problem being Ive never done it before, anyone got some tips/idea what I'll actually need?

8. Wicked_Sludge

rubbing alcohol and arctic silver 5.

9. escafoxx

Okay, this now will pose another two questions

A) Do I spread the TIM or just let the force of the heatsink going back on spread it out?
    B) As I'm taking off the stock cooler would it be worth replacing it with a better one? We all know what stock coolers can be like

10. Wicked_Sludge

A: personal preference. some people dab, some people spread. im a dabber myself.

B: depends, what card do you have and what cooler is on it now? many card manufacturers use 3rd party coolers that actually do a decent job.

11. escafoxx

God knows, forget what manu the card is, all I can tell you is that it's a HD5770 and the cooler looks like the Batmobile, Adam West Batmobile :p

12. Wicked_Sludge

my xfx 5770 has a bat mobile cooler on it. ring any bells?

if thats the case, thats actually an effective cooler. there are quieter options out there, but they dont cool much better. my xfx 5770 hovers between 60-65 while gaming with the stock cooler.

13. escafoxx

Does actually, so Imma say yes
    Playing WoW right now, really audiable and ave is 90 Cels

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

What case is it installed in?

Do you have any intake fans in the front of your case?

What is the temperature of the room you are in now?

Are there any cables or anything else covering the holes at the back of the card (where the power connector plugs in)?

15. escafoxx

Sharkoon Rebel9 Aluminum
    One in the front, and an intake in the side panel
    Unsure about the room temp, highly doubt it's any higher then 20
    No, done a cable tidy not long back to prevent any cables getting in the way

Last edited: 23 Feb 2011
  16. escafoxx

Issue solved guys!
    Took the cooler off the GPU, unscrewed the fins and found a good build up of dust there, blocking air flow
    Now idle at 40 odd with a high 60 peak
    Thanks for all the input from those who helped

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

5770 are almost impossible to kill... my mate tried to get a refund as he needed the cash so he tried to kill it and return it to the retailer.

he maxed the volts, clocked it at 1Ghz unplugged the fan and put a air dryer on it.... was running furmark for an hour....and on top of that ran a screw driver over the back to brake some of the solder connections....... it didnt die!

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not cool.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

:eeek: Poor gpu.

20. xandarr3000

xandarr3000 What's a Dremel?

xfx 5770

I have the same issue as above my cards keep sitting at 90 Cel. I have taken the case apart to clean it once a month, my house sits at 72 degrees farenheit year round. Ive dusted the crud out of them lowered and raised performance setting with catalyst tools, I have a coolmaster case with some gignatic honking fans on the sides top bottom and back, great air flow my cpu is overclocked to 3.3 ghz from a 2.8 and it never gets above 42 cel. If I manually set the fans to 100 % (which makes it sound like i have jet engine taking off right next to me), it doesnt make a bit of difference. I am very meticulous about my machines, But I am beginning to think that maybe this is just a common flaw with this card. When it gets up there in temp it will cause my computer to reboot after a bit.