1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD 7770 Overheating

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mattyh1995, 22 Dec 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I recently built a PC for a friend based around and i3 and HD7770 combo. Now this PC seems to be overheating in the GPU department, maxing out at 90C during Napoleon Total War causing the screen to cut out.

Before I built it I did some research into 7770's and they seem to be "cool" cards, would it be possible for a stock 7770 to overheat?

[​IMG]

This crude image is how the airflow in the case works. I moved the original 120mm fan to the front as an intake, then added a 140mm fan I had lying around as a roof exhaust. To go along with this, I faced the CPU heatsink to vent upwards rather than sideways towards the back.

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Products/Graphics-Cards/AMD/AMD-Radeon-HD-7000/AMD-Radeon-HD-7770.aspx

He has the single fan version of this.

EDIT: He has this
    [​IMG]

Is the card faulty or is there something else?

EDIT 2: It seems he doesn't have a GPU fan?

[​IMG]

EDIT 3: The fan is spinning, but not detected...

Last edited: 22 Dec 2012
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As far as I can see this isn't a rear exhausting card, so if there is any issue with the airflow in the bottom half of the case that's your problem area to concentrate on.

3. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

It's not, but a lot still goes out of there apparently. I'm more concerned about why this fan isn't showing up?

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Does GPU-Z show a fan speed under the sensors tab?

Nevermind, didn't see your last edit.

Does he know if the fan speeds up as the temperatures rise?

5. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Nope he does not, it was a miracle I got that screenshot (He's not very computer smart).

Although he is bringing his PC over to my house tomorrow so I'll post my findings then

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Should be sub 70 degrees load

Even in a really shitty case I cant see how it would gain that much heat.

Try running the case with the side off and see if the temps drop.

If not the card is at fault.

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If your gonna have a nose at it, it may be worth reapplying some decent TIM while your at it.

8. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

mrbungle; That's what I was going to do
    lancer; I didn't think of that, I was going to reapply some on my card tomorrow. May aswell make it a bring-a-friend! (I made a joke! No? Not funny? Damn...)

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  9. rollo

rollo Modder

Easy way to tell if fan spins install catalyst set it to max speed and you will here the fan.

Card looks weird that design does not look like it would be effective unless its in a high air cooled case which is not what he has.

Also that front fan is doing little if anything if you have the hard disks behind it, your cooling them first and the Gpu is getting little if any air hence its cooking itself.

Gpus get better cooling from side fans than front fans.

I'd expect the main issue is just a total lack of airflow and if you have that front fan on low to mid speed it can't have a hope to draw in enough air.

Also on that cpuid it says max temp was 79c which is well below the thermal limit for that card. Thermal shutdown is around the 105c mark. By which point the fan speed would be hitting aircraft take off speeds.

10. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I wouldn't know about Catalyst, never personally used an AMD card. Also, the front fan isn't blocked by anything, the HDD is at the top of the cages. As for the thermal limit, I told him not to let it above 80 since his screen cuts off around 90.

Unfortunately family commitments meant I couldn't take a look, will post back on here whenever I get to see this.

11. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I agree, go into the Catalyst Control Centre and via the Overdrive section try manually adjusting the fan and as he said you should hear it adjust when you apply the changes.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That XFX card has no heatpipe, so 90 sounds like a typical aluminium heatsink cooled card to be honest!

13. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I bought the same card for a friend and that peaked at 67C durning Metro 2033 for him. And his case doesn't even have an intake.

14. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

How did you get on with this, did you end up returning it?