1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HD-DVD - it's here!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 18 Apr 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

$25, thats what? £15? Imo thats pretty good considering thats what most DVD's cost over hever, though naturally living in rip-off land it will be £25 when they hit the shelves. If the US are complaining about those prices they really need their heads checked :p

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Oh quick must buy ticket to US to get me a HD-dvd player and HD tv cause if i dont get to see Last ******** samurai in High Def, I dont think I will have lived. :eyebrow: I mean four films as first release and these are the best titles they can come up with?

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

this is good news as far as im concered...in the not so distant future there will be even more cheap DVD for sale as people upgrade to HD/BR.

i already pick up all my films second hand for around £3 on various forums, aleady got stuff like kingkong second hand for that amount [totally legit i might add]...some people just dont know how much money they waste.

5. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I'll pick one up in 5 years

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I still say if I really wanted HD, I'd reencode my normal disks myself, remove the interlacing and use something like h264 with ultra high motion detection. All the movies are re-encoded into HD that are released atm so doing it yourself shouldnt offer a final product that's too far from them, and it will save you $700.

7. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

I think I'll wait. I think I'll wait til I have an HDTV to watch them on. I think I'll wait to see which format wins this next stupid format war because if I choose one now it will be the one that loses and I'll be stuck with a bunch of discs that aren't compatible with anything else. I think I'll wait because I have 200+ DVDs that look great and will last me 50 years (or so they claimed) and I'm tired of having to re-purchase the same films over and over again. (VHS to DVD to Special Edition DVD to Super Special Edition DVD to HDDVD to BluRay)

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They're not just using the orignal prints to make a new source? I find that unlikely, tbh.

So, AACS and HDCP cracks should be out by the first of the month now, I suppose.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends how old the source is. If it's recent, then it might not be but you dont know what it was originally recorded in. It's cheaper just to re-encode, albiet in high quality, an existing DVD then to completely reauthor a new one from the original film

10. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Hehe, since I work at a Geeksquad store inside a Best Buy, we were playing with theses on Saturday. I must say, on some of the better HD displays, along with the awesome sound systems we have, it really IS fantastic. Kicker was, I didn't see a huge differnce, until you were paying 5-6k or more for the display, compared to a proper setup with all the correct cables and whatnot from current Generation gear. From that stand point, I can't say it would be worth the money, but it is rather cool non-the less! Just know if you have a $100 bargin TV in the corner of your room.....don't bother spending your money....now if you have a $10,000 Home theater system...by all means add this....now.

11. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

They are using the uncompressed digital masters progressive scanned at 2300p to create the HD disks. Which means they downscale the prestine digital master by about 3 folds to match a 720p format to be released on HD DVD.
    Rescanning your own disks will yield in little to no image enhanced as all DVDs are released at SD resolution, deinterlacing and upscaling the resolution will only result in a blurry 480p film.
    The ONLY way to watch films at HD resolution is either buying the new HD disks or getting HD cable.

Wrong all films released on DVD are first progressive scanned at digital master resolution around 2300p, then downscaled to conform to DVD format. All studios already own a massive collection of digially scanned master reels at 2300p, they simply downscale those to fit onto a HD disk.
    How old the film is or what format the film was shot in is irrelevant, all films shot in 35/16/70 mm can yield a digital scan that conforms to todays HD standard.
    Please get your facts straight you're confusing people.

12. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

I dont see how hd-dvd can be competitive to blu ray considering that the ps3 will give the format such a large user base. If the rumours about dvd/blu ray combiant disks pan out as well (where you can play a blu-ray disk in your dvd player at standard res, and the hd version are on deeper layers that are read by a blu ray machine) then there will be no competition.

13. sadffffff

sadffffff What's a Dremel?

am i the only one getting the feeling that this will kill blu ray? i mean, with a month+ to release more titles before blue ray is even introduced wont most people that are going to go HD have hd-dvd? eliminating blu-ray sales for the most part.. then the ps3 will come around and not be able to play the movies people have... especially when, by in large, i doubt the general populace will know the capacity differences between the two. maybe i underestimate people and maybe im nuts...

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

No usually these products are purchased by early adopters, most people will wait for the price to drop by the time the price drops BluRay will be out.
    Early adopters are usually very tech savy, so if they wanted a BluRay they'll wait, I really don't think anyone purchasing an HD DVD is going in blind. If they own a HDTV and have the sense to adopt to the technology so early they'll most likely know the difference between the two formats.
    So in short I don't think it'll kill BluRay cause anyone who knows about BluRay will wait for it, those who don't aren't likely to be an early adopter anyway.

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Doesn't the 360 have a HD player in it ??

morgan.

16. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

nope. xbox360 has a standard dvd-rom drive

17. [sinz]

[sinz] What's a Dremel?

Xbox 360 is set to get an aftermarket HD-DVD drive later this year. The drive will (more than likely) use one of the available USB ports on the console itself and is designed to expand the media capabilities of the console without increasing the cost so that it becomes a viable alternative to these standalone players that are being sold right now.

There's no way on earth I'm buying an HD-DVD standalone right now when the only choice is to buy movies and with such an atrocious selection. Things will be different, however, when netflix begins their HD-DVD and Bluray rental offerings (whenever that may be). HD is far superior to DVD imo but as of right now I'm not bothering until both formats are out, the selection is massive, and the discs are available for rent. It's also very rare that I find a movie so good that I want to see it more than once or twice and end up buying it. I'm just fine with renting and returning movies instead of having them sit around and take up space. Besides, I may just wait for PS3 and the X360 addon drive which would cost less than buying an HD-DVD and Bluray standalone player and I'll get much more.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think this is one format wars where the consumers will sit on the sidelines. All the press has been about how HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is another Beta/VHS. I think most consumers will wait until there is one clear winner, or somebody releases a dual-format player.
    I'm setting up my own AV business, and will be recommending to clients that they wait for: a) dust to settle; and b) a decent catalogue of movies to be released.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Gut feeling tells me that it'll more likely be the $500 price difference for the player that kills BD.

Just saw the demo at best buy, very unimpressive. Just the slightest improvement over DVD, the player is bigger than a 400-disc DVD changer I've seen, and the cost is insane. I'd say as far as quality goes, it's about the same as when my computer upscales a DVD to fit my monitor (my monitor upscaling from my DVD player is pretty poor, but the computer does a good job of it).

I feel a double-flop, tbh, but I hope that HD-DVD wins if there is a winner simply because Sony backs BD.

As for consumer information, I haven't heard any publicity about this. There was one TV at the back of the store and a shelf that had a single HD-DVD player and about three copies of each of the four titles released, and that was it. While I get my news entirely online now, I certainly haven't overheard any snippets about this stuff, and I work at a video store so I'd be well-placed to do so.

I could swear that the cases were about half an inch shorter than the standard DVD case. Oh goodie, something else I'll have to deal with that's obviously different. Like those stupid cardboard DVD cases that a few WB movies come in - they're just not right in your DVD rack. :waah:

20. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I think I will pass until the blu ray/hd dvd burners cost less than $100 from newegg. At least get a standard decided upon.

Tags: Add Tags