1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Hd44780 (20x4) LCD Problem - Only certain software works.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sardien, 4 Mar 2003.

1. Sardien

Sardien What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Ok well, this is how my problem goes...

I have an Ever Bouquet MC2004E-SYL LCD (20x4 with LED Backlight). Now in the manufacturers booklet on the LCDs made by Ever Bouquet, it says that the said LCD is based on the HD44780 controller chip... Brilliant I thought!...

Until I wired it up.. The first time I wired it up, I tested it with the CFAH software from Crystal Fontz. The display was quite garbled.. So I checked my wiring and found that I had used the wrong parallel port wire on one of the data bit lines..

I then corrected this, and tested it again.
    Brilliant! It works. I then fired up Crystal Control (also from Crystal Fontz), and it worked perfectly in there.
    I then tried Borderfield's LCDcenter... and IT WOULDN't WANT TO WORK!! (As in: The LCD did not display a thing..) :waah:

I also tried:
    LCD Smartie - didn't work
    jaLCD - didn't work
    LCDMax - didn't work
    WinLCD Winamp Demo Output (By Nathan Stuart)- didn't work

Panic set in... I was hoping that it was a software problem.. so I plugged in my Hyundai 24x2 blue backlit LCD (also hd44780).. and that display worked fine.

Here might be a clue: The middle controller chip blob thing (eeek im a newbie!) gets VERY HOT when the LCD is on...

All help is much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!! :)

God Bless & Kind Regards,

Richard

Edit: oops removed LCDC from tried software list (i just realised I didn't actually install it, I just downloaded it. Luckily because it doesn't support Hd44780 displays...

Last edited: 4 Mar 2003
  2. Sardien

Sardien What's a Dremel?

*bump*

3. Sardien

Sardien What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I do not know what exactly was wrong but I changed my parallel port's mode to ECP and that seems to have fixed the problem.

hehehe, sorry about this guys!

God Bless & Kind Regards,

Richard