1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would not advise using the Pre oc vbios unless you have it watercooled.

Right easy solution is to add the Other GFX card to the PCIe Slot 1 and Put your HD5970 into Slot 2.
    Is your Other GFX card a ATI card? if so then you will need to change the GPU no. to 1 and 2 from 0 and 1. as 0 will now be your default GPU. If you are using a Nvidia card you can carry on and flash using 0 and 1. This is beacuse ATI flash will only detect a ATI GPU.

Cheers,

Simon.

2. kipas_lipas

kipas_lipas What's a Dremel?

tq so much for ur reply man.,really appreciate it.,yes,my gc is watercooled with danger den block.,maybe i flash my card using nvidia card..will give a try when i get home.,n will feedback the result later..thanks agaian man.,i scared i cannot rma the card because already flash the vbios..

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I hope all goes well.

BTW you have already voided your warranty by adding a waterblock.

Cheers,

Simon.

4. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Dear Simon,

I have been following this thread for some time, and the updated vbios has made my system stable now.

However, on my Sapphire 5970OC, the slave and the master is the opposite of what you describe (slave at 0, master at 1) ... any clue? (I was saved by my old very inexpensive x300)

Anyway, my question to you is. I really love the idea of an OCed vbios, but even though I have very nice temps with my AquagratiX waterblock (Aquacomputer) for my 5970, the OCed vbios (950/1200) just isnt stable with my card. Any chance for an vbios with a lesser OC, i.e 900/1200?

Thanks for a very nice thread, I have learned A LOT in here!

drbo :cooldude:

5. kipas_lipas

dear simon.,hi fren.,already successful flash the vbios 4 my card,but i cannot flash with the sapphire vbios,only can flash with the pre oc vbios.,so far can post but haven't try wether my block can handle the heat or not..

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Hi drbo,

I don't understand how your Slave and Master can be swapped around??? 0 will always be Master and 1 will always be Slave.

Anyway, I take it you want a overclocked vbios for a non watercooled HD5970? If this is the case, then let me know and I can adjust the Fan Profiles to suite the OC.

Cheers,

Simon.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is strange as the Pre OC vbios is a modded version of the Sapphire vbios.

Anyway, go and do a couple of hours gaming and see how the temps are.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. kipas_lipas

ok will try gaming later.,i worry if thr temps too high because my wc setup is only a single loop.,if this happen.,do u have other vbios lower than 900/1200.,maybe like 800/1100..tq

9. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Hi again Simon,

first, it is not my first time with a sapphire card that has changed the master and slave. AFAIK this was also the case with my 4870x2 ... but that card was sold long time ago ...

And I am not alone ...

Anyway, the 0 and 1 position is not a problem, since I always can reflash using the x300 gpu ...
    Ill try to put master at 0 and slave at 1, Ill post the result ...

My humble request was an OCed vbios for my watercooled Sapphire HD5970OC 2GB, but with a slightly lesser OC, since the 950/1200 crashes on my rig. So an OCed vbios, which gives each gpu performance slightly better than the 5870? 900/1200 perhaps?

Thanks!

drbo :cooldude:

Last edited: 31 Aug 2010
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I see. I have added a Pre OC vbios with the following clocks in Post #1 900/1200 1.175v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI.

Cheers,

Simon.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I will do this vbios clocks within the next hr.

Cheers,

Simon.

12. kipas_lipas

tq..

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Added Pre OC vbios 800mhz core 1100mhz Memory 1.15v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI in Post #1.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. kipas_lipas

dear simon.,need ur help here.,i already flash the 800/1100 vbios.,but my shader & memory temp too high.,i need ur favour here.,can u compile 4 me pre oc vbios but only 750/1050..tq

15. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks Simon!

I did try to flash master to 0 and slave to 1 (non OC). FAIL ... No picture. So I had to reflash my cards using the x300 gpu.

Anyway, I tried all the preOCed vbioses 950/1200, 900/1200 and 800/1100, but they all crash during gaming, the non OCed vbios does just fine ...

So maybe my card is more power hungry than yours, I dont know.

I guess I need to find out using MSI Afterburner, then I might give RBe a go. Didt seem to difficult ...

thanks for all help ...

Rolf André (drbo) :cooldude:

16. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Tho with a huge response from the community keeping this post still alive (ofc because its really helpful) bit-tech staff should make it a sticky, This is valuable information and should never be missed :)

MAKE IT STICKYY!!

17. Snox

Snox HD5970 Horrors

At last I have been able to get one of these HD5970s purring. Followed the steps under your advice Speed. New rig, with one stick of RAM, same issue. Was not surprised but definitely worth a go. Whacked the card in the old rig, installed AvP to give the DX11 a good go and low and behold success. Looks fantastic and that is without everything ramped up. Lasted about 10 mins before the rig shut down instantly (too hot), but not an issue, rebooted and all is well. So card has now been proved in a non Asus MB (Dell as it happens), where two Asus boards have proved pretty poor - first (6PT) died and just got my refund but same issue with GPU. Second and current (6PT SE) same issue with GPU so that will be RMA's too. In the US in a few weeks so intending to pick up a Gigabyte MB, as per your recommendation True_Gamer. They do look rather sweet having checked the specs!

So for now, thanks to both of you for your help. I think we have got to the bottom of this now and I will report back, with an expectant relay of good news from a Gigabyte MB, AvP ramped to the max and three monitor EyeFinity nirvana. Keep those fingers crossed...

Snox.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

With such low clocks, why don't you just use ATI overdrive in CCC?

Cheers,

Simon.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Right, why not use the first Pre OC vbios and then go into Ati overdrive in CCC and down clock the Memory as it maybe more to do with your Ram Chips that are holding you back.

Also, have you checked GPU-Z to check your temps on the VDDCI to see whether or not your card is over heating?
    If this is the case then you may want to try and reinstall your waterblock.

Cheers,

Simon.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Not a bad idea.

Make it a sticky please.

Cheers,

Simon.