1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. WinnetouPL

WinnetouPL What's a Dremel?

I was terribly mistaken. I wrongly read BIOS date, so I installed that from 2009 (it was 16/09/09 not 16/11/09). Of course BIOSes in post #1 are up to date. So stupid... :(
    So I flashed 800M/S ones just to check it. Still the bug. Than I tried the default ones and it seems not to freeze. I "boiled" water to 50 degrees -> temperatures on the PCB up to 76 degrees (power section).
    Any vendor info change make the VGA unusable. That's strange for me.

I also have such question: in RBE in GPU registers you usually increase the highest voltages (0x18). But in these OC BIOSes there is increased the 0x17 register (from 1.0375V to 1.15V or higher)? How does it work?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2012
  2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It may well be your GPU needing more volts, or it's at it's limit of stability on the standard clocks.:(

I haven't played around in RBE in a long time, so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how to configure it for higher voltages. :)

I would just stick with the standard Bios in post 1, as that seems to be problem free for you. :)

Cheers,

Simon.

3. WinnetouPL

WinnetouPL What's a Dremel?

So thanks a lot. If I needed higher performance in few years time, I would start playing with the voltages.

4. chchang1

chchang1 What's a Dremel?

So i flashed the bios hoping to solve the issues(random crashing), didn't work...
    Sapphire 5970 non-OC
    i7 920 (not overclocked for obvious reasons)
    ASUS Rampage III formula

The 5970 is water cooled with a BitsPower full cover block temps go to 50s in game, the computer in 2d is completely stable(In Windows)(I get black screens in BIOS or when POSTING randomly)and only crashes in game or Furmark.
    Funny thing is sometimes it's rock stable for a few hours until I shut the computer down, and sometimes i's stable for a few minutes-.-
    Their isn't any leakage as far as I know,BUT I had one before and changed the PSU and motherboard, the liquid DID get on the card but it's still functional (waterproof? LOL)

^Happened before and after the BIOS flash...^

Timeline:
    normal>leak(crash crash crash)>found out there was a leak>motherboard and gfx card were visually wet.>changed motherboard>couldn't even start-up(the motherboard start button was flashing and tick tick sounds(later found out it was a PSU prob))>changed PSU>happy user>crash crash crash(not BSOD it's a hard crash)

Plz help

i7 nearly 3 years old
    5970 nearly 2 years old

Thank you

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sounds like the water may have caused some short circuiting...

As the HD5970 has 2yrs warranty, why not RMA it, and then with the money you get refunded, by a newer card? :)

6. chchang1

Money refund is a no no in here(HK) = =":jawdrop:

I have a waterblock on it and shorted it.:waah:
    (-Products that are defaced or physically damaged and modified by customer.
    -Products that become non-functional due to customer improper use.)

And...my mom threw the receipt away...:grr::wallbash:

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Can you not put it back together, and send it back to the shop or etailer? I know you said your Mom lost the receipt, but if you got it from a etailer, then you should have a invoice in your account. :)

Otherwise I'm afraid I can't help you anymore...:(

8. chchang1

You sure it's dead?
    Cuz I'm a bit tight money and wouldn't like to waste any...
    Anyways I'll try, thx for your help...I'll treat it as a very expensive lesson...depressed :'(

9. chchang1

Are you sure it's a problem with the graphics card?(80% up?)
    (The computer crashes even in the BIOS,while POSTing, or even before POSTing...sigh)
    Funny why it doesn't crash when I'm in Windows(2d only)(the GPU is powered off?:eyebrow:)

I plan on buying a new gfx card as the vram limits are getting to me. :waah:

Off topic:
    Currently I plan on getting the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC. Looks pretty nice and the best bang for the buck:thumb:, I expect it not to give as many issues(drivers, microstuttering blah blah blah).

Any suggestions?:D

Thx.

10. sentinelvdx

sentinelvdx What's a Dremel?

true_gamer, please help!
    Since your help flashing my Sapphire "non-OC" GPU Card with the default O.C. BIOS, it was working amazing for over a year, but last night, while playing Max Payne 3... game just crashed, then de O.S. crashed, and rebooted.
    After that reboot I found there were artifacts all over the Win7 Desktop...

How can I know if it's damaged? Is anything I can do or try to solve it?

I was using it on:
    Case: Lian Li x1000
    PSU: 1200w 80+ Silver Antec
    MB: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
    RAM: 16GB 4x4GB DDR3 Mushking Ridgeback
    CPU: i7 2600K @4.5Ghz
    (There was no high temps at all... just normal 70C at full load)

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sounds like its diying, dead GPU core by the sound of the artifacts.

12. sentinelvdx

Parge, thanks for the response... and hope we are both wrong :waah:

I've tried removing the full AMD CCC drivers, reinstalling it again, but didn't worked....
    The only way to avoid crashes or not getting those things all over the desktop is using the default driver from windows "standard vga driver" :wallbash:

And thinking on what I did before this started was just download and install ASUS GPU Tweak (but didn't use it as my new card didn't come yet).
    I started it but didn't open, don't know why, but don't think this one changed something... or yes?:confused:

Is there anyway I can underclock de core and mem to the non-OC?

Final Though: If I send it through RMA... can they know if I change the BIOS from non-OC to the O.C. version?

Last edited: 12 Jul 2012
  13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, 100% sure its the card that is faulty, as you caused a short circuit. :(

GTX 670 is the next best upgrade, like you have suggested. :)

As Parge has said. :(

Not if you flash it back to the stock one. :)

14. sentinelvdx

Do you have the stock one by any chance? I don't think I have it, as I lost my NAS info long time ago (Never buy WD MyBook WEII, it's 100% faulty)

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Have a look here, but I don't know what the BIO's are like, so use at your own risk. ;)

Clicky

16. sentinelvdx

-I bought before this happened a RoG HD7970 DC2T due to out of stock of 680... :wallbash: anxiety to upgrade it won:duh: (this one, I'm waiting from a friend to get it and send it to me). I think he'll kill me if I tell him to change it.
    In case I can cancel the order... do you recommend me to go to EVGA 680FTW for example?
    I saw so many posts, that I cannot finally decide which to get.

-I couldn't find vBIOS for mine :( all of them are for 1GB, while mine has 2GB

Last edited: 13 Jul 2012
  17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If I was you, I would be looking at the GTX 670, as that seems to be the best bang per buck. :)

18. sentinelvdx

Thanks for the advice. Ill resell the rog as soon as i get it an go for that one.
    I read also all great comments in other forums about that one

19. erythnul

erythnul What's a Dremel?

Hello! First of all amazing work for helping people for over 2 years overcome 5970 problems!
    Alas, i am one of 5970(Asus) owner having all the wonderful issues; computer hangs, atikmdag.sys bsods, display driver deciding to stop functioning etc etc.
    I must admit that I'm a bit scared of bricking the card, but reading all pages in this post has somewhat given me a push.
    I use the accelero xtreme to cool the card, so furmark maxes at about 65C by using msi afterburner at 800/1100(Volt. 1162). Should i flash the card with oc sapphire bios, or go straight to something like 800/1100? while following of course step by step page 1.

Thanks in advance,

20. ziu

ziu What's a Dremel?

Post #1 - Links Are Dead

Just a note to let you know that all of the "4shared.com" links are dead.

After waiting the 20 seconds all I get is:

"Sorry, the file link that you requested is not valid.
    Reasons for this may include:

Invalid link
    The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of user"

Solved... I went through a British Proxy Server and everything worked fine.
    I'm in Canada, so I don't know what to make of this problem.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012