1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD7970 - My Review (BF3 Eyefinity vs HD7970)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xaser04, 10 Jan 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh hang on there, by deferred AA do you mean MSAA or FXAA? I run Ultra but with FXAA on high, MSAA on zero. With 2xAA on, my fps drops into the 20s during heavy scenes. This was all tested on Strike at Karkand.

My vRAM pretty much constantly maxes out - that is to say that it usually seems to hover about 1260Mb - I assume the other 20mb is reserved for something else (Aero in W7?)

If you want the data, all my benchmarks except ram use/temps are here

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ah I see the difference. I litterally just maxed out everything. Deffered (MSAA) is set to 4x in game. I would have to test at 2x to see what improvement it has.

At 3560x1920 adding 4xAA halves my framerate at Ultra settings, I assume 2xAA would have roughly half the hit?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes, it will do. Some sites didn't find too much difference between 2x and 4x but HardOCP ran some benchies and found substantial differences in terms of fps.

Tbh, there isn't much of a visual difference between 4xMSAA and FXAA on high (its there, but slight), so if you did want to hit 60fps and increase your min scores, I'd try running that and 0xMSAA.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For Eyefnity I run post AA on medium and deffered off. Deffered AA enduces a massive hit at this sort of resolution - well actually it is completely unplayable.

I have found post on high causes some noticable blurring at 3560x1920 which goes away once it is dropped to medium.

I was only trying out deffered AA to see how the HD7970 handled it. Judging by my results it handles it quite well.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Further update:

Just ordered a Toughpower XT 675w* (modular) PSU and Kuhler 620 to go in my system.

The PSU should at least ease my fears about pushing my current 530w unit too hard (especially its 12v rails which will be nearing their maximum (444w theorectical) once I start really pushing the HD7970).

The cooler was hard to say no to at £34.95. Finally I will be ditching the stock Intel cooler for something that will actually allow me to Overclock.

The combination of both upgrades will allow me to push the system that little bit harder. I will now finally have some breathing room on the power side of things. Running a overclocked HD7970 (at over 1.2v) AND an overclocked 2500k was asking for trouble.

I will be placing the Kuhler on the back of my case acting as an exhaust. This will allow me to use relocate the back Fractal Design fan to the side panel, providing some much needed airflow to my HD7970.

Total lot came to just over £104 on Scan. Decided to go for the £3.50 SCAN insurance as it has been quite a while since I messed around with a CPU cooler - accidents happen after all.

6. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

Nice review , ive found my 7970 to be lovely and am awaiting my waterblock to arrive so i can start my project and setup my first wc rig.

7. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

As an OC'd kentsfield owner I would have to disagree. Especially regards bf3 and even bad company 2.....

.....ONLINE cpu usage is harsh. Even with a 4890 @ 1920x1080. Tests done in single player are pretty meaningless if you wanna talk cpu speed vs. fps.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Further quick update.

I have rebuilt my PC with the Toughpower XT 675 PSU and Kuhler 620 (fantastic!) and am now back running Portrait Eyefinity.

Due to a combination of; Testing, better cooling, better PSU and patience, I have got the card clocked to 1125/6600 rock stable. My BF3 results now show the HD7970 to be ~60% faster than my old HD6970 at the same settings. A bit more tweaking and I should break through the 60fps barrier and end up ~ 70% faster.

So far additional testing has shown 1150/6600 to be do-able but further tweaking is required as I am not 100% happy with calling it rock stable.

In other news I can finally stretch the legs on my 2500k as well. The MSI OC Genie puts it at a relatively modest 4.2GHz @ 1.36v which isn't bad, but I know there is more there (or at least 4.2 should be stable at a lower core voltage).

9. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

Nice setup with nice review of the card im very happy with mine.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

You're right, there should be way more in the tank there unless you got a real duff chip or mobo.

I am at 4.5 @ 1.32 on air (admittedly a very good air cooler that I have tweaked)

With your cooler I would want 4.7 if possible-

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I am aiming for between 4.4 and 4.6 at reasonable volts.

Anything more will probably require more volts than its worth.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Another quick BF3 Eyefinity update.

Just started trying out the Jan 25th HD7970 "beta" drivers (I don't know if they are beta or not but they are newer than the 11.12 Disc drivers I have been using) and well, wow!

I have only tested at my HD7970OC2 clocks (1125/6600) but immediately the difference is very noticable.

Just ran my normal benchmark and achieved the following:

Min - 45.00
    Avg - 62.45

Compared to my old HD6970 this is ~ 76% faster.... Even compared to the HD7970 @ 1125/6600 on the old drivers it is 10% faster.

Now I was not expecting such an improvement (especially one so immediately noticeable) but it is there. I will have to do further testing but so far so good.

EDIT: Another update, this didn't need another post.

Just tried a couple of different settings with the new driver and quite frankly I had to re-run the test a few times to make sure the settings were actually taking effect.

I don't have my normal Min & Avg but the card clocked to 1125/6600 can run Ultra Settings with SSAO at around 50FPS average. If I bump up to 2x Deferred AA it still returns between 35 and 40FPS.

4xAA and HBAO remains unplayable at below 30FPS average but still 2xAA with Ultra settings at 3560x1920 looks incredible.

These cards really do come into their own at very high resolutions. It is such a shame that we haven't seen more custom GTX580's capable of multi monitor gaming. It would be so interesting to see how they stack up in real world gaming terms.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Right I am in the middle of a system rebuild (swapping over to difference SSD) so this will be a quick update. I was interested to see how much of a difference the 25th Jan RC drivers & the new 14th Feb BF3 patch had on performance and well I will let the numbers speak for themselves.

To keep things consistent I am running my standard 5 minute FRAPS run through of Operation Swordbreaker, setup as shown below.

1920x1080, Ultra Settings, 4xAA & HBAO (all settings max in game)

HD7970 @ 1125/6600 CAT 11.12, BF3 pre patch

Min - 40
    Avg - 58.07

HD7970 @ 1125/6600 25/1 RC driver, BF3 14/2 patch

Min - 49
    Avg - 74.23 (+27.82%)

Well, er, blimey that is an improvement! As I have shown in my post above, the RC drivers add around 10% performance at Eyefinity resolutions. If we assume a similar performance improvement for 1080p, the patch alone is adding a further 15-20%!

Please note I could not run a performance comparison to see exactly what performance improvement the RC drivers alone are bringing as the game auto updates.

Not bad Dice, not bad at all.

I will try out a full Eyefinity run down at the weekend once I have my machine back up and running properly on my "new" SSD.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

not really accurate.. each state has a different amount of sales tax on most items- like here in cali it's 8% and that's pretty high.. food is tax exempt

newegg is based out of california, so living in california if I ordered something from them- I'd pay the 8% sales tax on those items.. but if I order from say amazon- based out of state.. there is no sales tax.. I know they tried to force sales tax on out of state purchases, but far as I can see it hasn't happened..