1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding hdd cooling diy job

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eegg, 29 Sep 2006.

1. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

hi my hdd is pretty hot 55+ idle and i need a cool way to cool it what do you say it already as a generic 120 fan blowing on it but that doesn't help

the best way need help for cool ideas

Last edited: 29 Sep 2006
  2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

What kind of HD is putting out the kind of heat that a 120mm fan seems to not be able to cool? as well is there something wrong with the hd that might be causing it to overheat.

3. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

its a realy weak fan

4. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

This is actually a bit off topic but if its hard drive then call it HDD for Hard Disk Drive as HD means High Definition as well.
    Sorry rant over

5. Warrior_Rocker

You are completely right we should call it HDD and not HD, but the word Hard Disk has been around far longer than the coined phrase High Definition. Even if not around longer it is certainly used more often. I guess its the same reason we still call it IDE and not more correctly ATA

*back on topic*
    You may want to look on your favorite pc online store or in-store and find yourself just an all around Hard Drive cooler, they make many flavors, ones with heat pipes, ones with fans on the bottom of the drive, a good many of these will take up a 5.25'' bay

6. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

eegg if your from the UK i am currently selling one of these HDD Coolers.

7. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Hard Drives really shouldnt be getting that hot...i get worries if any of mine get above 35 degrees...they are normally at about 28 - 32 degrees.

All i have is one 120 mm fan on them:
    Code:
    === ||
        ||
    === ||

== is a hard drive
    || is a fan

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 What's a Dremel?

well hdds can get hot and are rated to do so (toms hardware has a few articals which compare hdd platter temp) and most are around 50C

the main problem with just having the fan is that the surface area is to small so if you wanted good cooling then you might think of a heat pipe solution and your fan blowing it and if you really wanted good cooling you could make a heat sink for the heatpipes

9. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

wll thats like mine bu i have only one hdd in the middle wd 120 js
    its a generic fan maybe ill by a artic cooling fan 12025

10. Panze

Panze What's a Dremel?

You could also cosinder moving the hard drive to one slot lower or higher so that it's not sitting in the fan "blind spot" created by the motor in the center.

11. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

y what fan is better:

THERMALTAKE 120mm Thunderblade RFB Led Fan a1929

or artic cooling af12025

12. K2V

K2V What's a Dremel?

how do you know your hdd is 55+? Where do you get the temperature from ? is that Farenheight or Cecicus?

13. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

its from everest h.e. and its 55c and about 130f and if i touch it it it warm

14. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

maybe a wrong reading some programs say that there is 14 volt on my 12 volt rail :duh:

15. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

please back to topic

16. NightCrawler™

NightCrawler™ What's a Dremel?

Do you have a Western Digital disk....? If so chances are your temperature sensor is not functioning properly..
    The problem is known by WD and if your disk is still under warranty you can try and get replaced..

I've got two WD's with broken sensors... can't be bothered to get them replaced due the data on it..

17. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

y but i can feel its hot also the exhast fan is connected to mb and front is to power supply by adapter maybe if i switch it will work?

18. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

its actually better to have the hdd in the blicnd spot, as if its at the top and bottom like mine, the hard disks obstruct the airflow themselves, and only their ends get cooled. if you have the hard disk in the centre, it is getting a decent amount of cold air over the top and the bottom of it, and its not obstucting air flow :).

19. K2V

K2V What's a Dremel?

i use this HDD Thermometer from >>http://www.rsdsoft.com/. this program will get temperature from internal sensor of the hdd. The program is free.

20. Warrior_Rocker

I also use this program, It is stellar It just sits in the system tray and does not bother you at all. Much like motherboard monitor but for your HDD's. my sata-I 250gb drives are both at 43C, if that is any help in how you judge your HDD temps.