1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding HDD Cooling

Discussion in 'Modding' started by aevitas, 15 Aug 2005.

1. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

As some of you guys know I am watercooling my new rig.. currently only my graphics card + CPU. Now my hdd's will arrive somewhere around thursday.

It's a WD Raptor 74GB 10k rpm, and a Hitachi Desktar 250GB.

Now my question is, should I also cool my hdd's with water? Or would the loop become to big?

I was thinking of cooling them with 2 Alphacool HDD 3.0´s:

[​IMG]

So should I go for this? Or would the loop become to big? Any other ideas?

Thnx :thumb:

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I say do it ;)
    Normally I wouldn't bother with HDD cooling, but tbh, if you want to do it, Do it! :)

Aslong as the Rad/Pump can take it, I forsee no problems :)

3. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

I have little knowledge of water-cooling, but I agree with that.

Here's another suggestion:

buy an el-cheapo watercooling solution, one that runs super-quiet, and use that for just your hard drives/SB. That way it wont generate too much heat so you won't have to run the system too loud, but you won't end up adding all that extra tubing and heat to your main watercooling, so it can be dedicated to the CPU/VGA/NB.

either way, go for it. cool hard drives are happy hard drives, especially 10K RPM ones that contain your OS.

4. dadofsam

dadofsam What's a Dremel?

i ahve never had issues with hard drives and heat but i have never looked at it, i say if you can do it, why not, lol

5. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Just wait a month. DangerDen is going to be releasing their new acetal-topped harddrive waterblocks. I saw them at PDXLAN and they look to be of a low restriction design with mounting holes just about everywhere so you can install it justabout anywhere. Look for these to be around the $50 range.