1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Install - 160GB down to 137GB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neillyb, 7 Jan 2005.

1. neillyb

neillyb What's a Dremel?

Hi there, my name's neil, 18 years old, live in Scotland... and I've just finished building my first ever PC!

I've got everything running up smoothly, although I'm a bit miffed at this unforeseen circumstance: when installing the hard drive, it said something about partitions, and reduced the size from 160GB to 137GB, or something close to that.

Forgive me if I hit enter too many times, have been silly or being a bit naive, but I don't know why this is, could anyone explain to me why, and also if I can possibly rectify this?

My PC specs are:

DFi LanParty nForce3 250GB motherboard
    Sapphire ATi Radeon 9800PRO
    Seagate 160GB HDD
    Kingston DDR4000 512MB RAM
    AMD 64 3000+

(PS. I apologise if I have put this in the wrong forum section, please move if necessary!)

Thanks, neillybx

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You need a latest BIOS with 48bit addressing that enabled harddisks over 137gig. Check the DFI FAQ section on their site - there's most likely (most mobo manuf. have them) an explanation there too.

Oh, and welcome ;)

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

You also need windows XP sp1 or windows 2000 SP4 (iirc) or the "enablelargeLBA" patch, windows wont recognise a disc above 137 gb

Would expect an Nforce3 mobo/bios to support 48 bit as standard tbh, but as bindi said check for any bios updates :)

Welcome to the madness too :D :clap: :clap:

4. neillyb

neillyb What's a Dremel?

OK guys, forgot to mention it's XP Pro, service pack 2 I have.

Haven't got my PC hooked up to the WWW, ebuyer delayed my wireless stuff, so it may appear tomorrow.

SO, I download that thing from the DFi site, install that, and the extra space shall be unlocked? Will I have to reformat or anything?

Thanks very much for helping me, greatly appreciated!

And thanks for the welcomes :D

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I think you may either have to reformat, or create a new partition using the last bit of space, simply because the HDD has already been partitioned for 137GB.

6. Reejoc

Reejoc What's a Dremel?

You will have to reformat unfortunately

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Or get hold of some partitioning software that will format the unallocated space, then merge it with main partition. Partition Magic does the job, but I'm sure there are others.

Seems strange that it's a fairly new motherboard and it hasn't taken the full 160gb??

A fresh WinXP SP2 install should have allowed you to allocate the whole of the drive to format during setup.

Is there a jumper setting on the hard drive itself which is set to only allow 137gb to be seen by the system?

8. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

That does seem quite odd, since I plugged in a 200GB Seagate into my system, which has a fairly old nForce2 mobo, and I don't remember doing any BIOS updates on it, but the the system saw all 200Gb.

During bootup or in the BIOS setup screeen, does it see all 160GB or does it report it as 137GB? If it's the former, then the BIOS is not the issue. If it's the latter, then it's something on the software side. Check out the partition utilities on the Ultimate Boot CD and see if they can pick up the missing space. By the way, the amount of space you'll get will be a little bit shorter than 160GB, for two reasons. One, partitioning will take up a bit to leave space for the partition tables and other things. The second is that HD manufacturers say 1GB = 1,000,000 bytes, while 1GB is actually 1,048,576 bytes (1024^2). You'll get approximately 152GB useable space.

kenco, AFAIK, there are none. Seen them to limit to 8.3GB on smaller drives, but nothing in the 100+GB range to limit to 137GB.

9. neillyb

neillyb What's a Dremel?

Looks like I'll just re-install windows then, see if that helps - there's nothing on my PC, so it won't really matter.

There is also a BIOS update on the DFI website, so I have downloaded this as well.

Bit paranoid now though, some of my mates say flashing my BIOS can be a risky business and I could end up breaking my motherboard if I don't do it right? :eeek:

As for the jumpers, there are no jumpers for sizes, just the usual Primary / Master settings.

Thanks for the replies!

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Dont flash the bios if u dont need to. You also shouldnt have to re-install IMO.. Just use windows disk management to format the other partition and use it for files or as a dump drive or summit...

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Some drives have jumpers that limit them to 32Gig, for old motherboards. A friend of mine just bought a 160GB hard drive, and can only use 32GB of it :duh:

12. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

That is the reason i have a 40 gig drive atm ... couldn't get a bios for my pcchips celly400 ( glad it died) that supported more then 32 gig. It works nicely as image drive

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Ah, that's what I was thinking of (the 32gb limit and also the much earlier 8.4gb limit).

14. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

This is the thing, I found that even with 2000 SP4 I still needed to add in the registry key for my drives to be detected properly. It's always worth a try, anyway; in the Registry, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters, and create a DWORD value named EnableBigLba, setting it to 1. Restart the computer and all should be well ;)