1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding HDD question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -SilentNight-, 22 Feb 2004.

1. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

Hello. I got a litle problem, its HHD i had now it horizontal, so can i put it to vertical? with out damaging HDD

Last edited: 22 Feb 2004
  2. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

You might want to use
    Code:
     ;)

Several people have done this, as long as its pretty much perfectly vertical or horizontal you'll be fine. Think of it as a spinning disc, cause thats what it is - for balance, it has to be vertical or horizontal.

3. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what angle you mount it at, as long as you don't move it around while its spinning. Certainly putting it vertical shouldn't matter.... maybe i've misunderstood what you're trying to do from your diagram

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

If its a really old HDD then you probably wont want to do it.

But for anything more modern (probably something from the last 5/6 years or newer) then it is fine to have it anyway up or any angle you like.

5. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

vertical is hard on the drive one would think

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Ipods any one? shock is hard on the drives more than the orientation, as the drive arm already operates free of gravity

7. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

I have had both my 60GB and 200GB hard drives laying in virtually every different direction and angle, and I haven't had any problems with my hard drives yet. So if this is what your asking if you can do I say GO FOR IT your drives should be fine, but as stated above while your drives are on/spinning DO NOT MOVE them or it will be your fault that they get screwed up.

8. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

I've read once that when you use a HDD lying flat for a while, then the spinning mechanism wears out to that movement, and when you change the angle of the drive the spinning mechanism breaks down...
    it's just something I vaguely remember reading somewhere, but I really don't know if it's true =)

9. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Sounds reasonable, but I will say that I have never heard anything about this kind of problem.

10. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I don't think there should be anything to worry about. We use IBM PCs at work ( :sigh: ) and they all have different directions that the HDD is mounted (horizontal as well as vertical). Granted, it may be difficult to determine the effects that position has on the HDD as IBM's fantastic "DeathStar" line of HDD's die before any extended period of use. :hehe:

11. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

thanks by answers i got modding-fever so? :dremel: lets see what we will got 6wks to lans wich has modding competition....

im thinking fit and tall tower wich i do then i put on to table with table stands im thinking i will do it from plexi.. we will see what i will have

12. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

all points made, it kinda makes sense why it wouldnt work... but i have never heard of any problems like this... :eyebrow: so who knows really