1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headphone problems - One ear stopped working.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zero_UK, 22 Jan 2012.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK New Member

Hey,

Got a issue with my Razer Orca. Had it for a year and I'll assume it has has had some light beating during transporting from home to uni. The left ear (the one with the audio jack connecting to it) played up once or twice i.e. cutting out.

Last night I was watching a film and the same thing happened again, only this time it seemed to me like something is lose on the left ear - as I tilted my head it would come back on or off again until it has finally gone for good. Now all audio comes from the right ear - when I do "test" in sound it does not even detect their is a left speaker, the left speaker sound is tested through the right ear.

I was going to open both ears up to see inside and compare the difference in the right and left one however this thing requires a pixel sized screw driver which I have some how miss placed my trusty Christmas cracker one. So until I find it I was wanting to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, if there is anything I should look for or do instead.

Thank you.

**Edit there is a few times just now where the left ear comes back to life for a moment.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2012
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

If it cuts out and then comes back, you're probably looking at a very bad or broken connection in the internal wire leading to the left ear cup. It's a problem I've had with a lot of headphones. If it does turn out to be that, not much can be done about it unfortunately.

3. sakzzz

sakzzz Member

Try audiophile headphone forums ... They usually recable their cans and could point you in the right direction

4. Daedelus

Daedelus New Member

This is what can happen if you allow the wires to get twisted repeatedly - the wire gets metal fatigue and snaps inside the insulation. Nothing you can do about it other than replace the cable which might not even be possible.

5. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Thoroughly clean the connector, it could be a poor connection from jack to socket. Otherwise you have a broken wire, usually at a point where it flexes most.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Surely if one ear stops working it's more to do with your head than your headphones? :D

7. deadsea

deadsea New Member

Likely there's a loose connection in the earcup. Soldering iron, possibily a replacement cable should fix it up nice and quick. Main difficulty is opening it up without cracking anything.