1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V headphones to play the piano

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anduril, 29 Nov 2006.

1. anduril

anduril New Member

ok so i've given up on having wireless headphones to play the piano and listen to music. i actually found a good set but it was insanely expensive (over 350€).
    So now i'm looking for a good headphone. Remember i will be playing the piano so i want a near perfect sound as it is very important to hear every detail while playing.
    the piano is just an electric yamah piano sso nothing spectacular. but i need to be able to play with headphones because of the rest of the family might not always be happy when they're studying or on the telephone...
    Whitout headphones it sound great but my current set isn't near to pleasing me as i'm not able to hear a rich variety of sounds and differences in sound strenght are also flattened out which in turn makes me play a lot worse when i go back from headphones to without headphones.

The price tag i'm expecting is at a maximum of 200€. anything under it would be nice cos i'm on a thight budget but if there were no other choice then i'm willing to pay 200€

awaiting your reations

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

sennheiser HD595s

can get em for about £90 on ebay.

awesome. i have them.

3. Rav

Rav New Member

Whatever you go for, do try to listen to them before you buy them (or make sure the vendor's return policy is up to snuff).

Personally i'm a grado fanboy, so i'll chime in with them ... SR-80s should fit well into your budget (probably with enough spare to get a CMoy amp off ebay if you decide your piano's output isn't beefy enough).

Bear in mind that for 200€ you aren't going to get the last word in sound reproduction, but there are some very capable cans within your budget. Spending money on audio gear is something of a slippery slope, just don't go somewhere like head-fi if you care about your wallet...

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

From what I've read on heads, and experienced myself, I'd be inclined to say go Grado SR125's and buy an amp if you feel it neccesary.

5. dom_

dom_ --->

The SR125's are coloured though.

If you want clinical sound try the HD600's you may be able to afford them just.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hmm, from what I've read Grado's are considered far more analytical and true to the source, while sennies add all sorts of flavour. But ah well, you know what you're on about much more then me :)

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I heard the same. I had a pair for plugging into my amp when playing the guitar but it was not accurate. I jus keep the amp down low now instead.

I know that is not an option with the piano but I will say the sennies are probably not going to be right for you.

8. dom_

dom_ --->

Well i am going of actual hifi reviews (not online say so) and personal experience of both using very decent amplification.

Specofdust, coloured and analytical are not the same thing. A pair of coloured headphones may for example over emphasis treble. Making certain instruments sound different to real life (we are talking small differences here). By analytical do you mean detail?

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well to me, from what I've been reading in places like Head-Fi, the impression I got from most of those guys on Grados SR range is that, they'll present the music as it was recorded. It might not sound as pleasurable, or be as bright, it may not even sound very good - but it will be like it's been recorded. So the things would be true to whatever is being put into them. But I'm no hifi guy, I don't know a whole lot, pretty much just reporting what I've read.

10. anduril

anduril New Member

thanks for the replies so far.

i wasn't expecting to have the latest developed thingies and as for the analitical sound.
    I'm not bothered that it sounds exactly as recorded because the sounds of the piano are in fact digital recordings of a real piano. Each note on the piano is recorded seperatly so it will sound nice on both types of headphones. This taken into notice will those two types have a draastic difference in terms of sound color or quality.?

however wireless came within my grasp as i found out that the company my aunt works for sells about everything that is wireless. I will be giving wireless a second thought when i find out she can deliver me a wireless with a small reduction :)

and as for return policy i am not likely to buy anything like this over the web so i guess i'll check the local hi-fi shops. In most of them you can try out anything you buy i'm not expecting this to be different for headphones.

And is there anything else than Grados and sennheiser that is good? i'd like to compare more than 2 brands when i make up my mind in the shop

as always awaiting your response

11. dom_

dom_ --->

Beyer dynamic are good too.

Please reconsider wireless though. It will not sound as good as wired.

12. anduril

anduril New Member

the wireless does sound very good. at least the one i tried one i didn't hear any difference with it's equal wired companion. But the thing that's holding me down is it's price. If you want a decent wireless it cost more then 350 euros.
    I agree it doesn't sound as good as a wired one but it in fact produces a more than satisfying quality sound. The difference with wired is minimal. except for the price that's why i'm not eager to buy it.

13. Rav

Rav New Member

Did you compare it to a wired headphone from another manufacturer? If not, it's possible that both the wired and non wired you tried sounded as bad as each other ... just some food for thought.

14. anduril

anduril New Member

qctually it was from the same manufacturer. Though the osund quality was pleasing it wasn't superb. Buying them would actually depend on the price my aunt can sell them. if this is low enough i'm still getting wireless despite the (not disturbing) lower soundquality because when playing it is nicer not to have a wire dangling about.

15. dom_

dom_ --->

You started off saying:
    Yet you have thrown it all out of the window due to a:
    Get your priorities straight here.
    If you spent £100 on some headphones then £100 on some wireless ones, which would be better? The wired ones because the wireless ones need a base station, the electronics in that, the electronics in the headphones etc etc. It's basic maths.

16. anduril

anduril New Member

@ dom: you are right if u'd buy the two headphones in a normal shop.
    But since my aunt works in a company which sells about anything that is wireless it is very likely i can get my hands on a good wireless for a normal price. And the wired ones still cost the same. so then i may be able to get similar performance to wired for the same price. i'm just waiting to know the price of the wireless.
    Just saying that it all depends on that.
    oh and my priorities haven't changed the sound quality remained priority #1.

17. anduril

anduril New Member

ok i'm getting wireless headphones since my aunt can get them with a 50%discount on the taxfree price. This means i can get the very best wireless set at just over 150€. The wired headphones that have a comparable sound quality would cost me 230€.
    So i was pretty fast in deciding to buy them although wired ones that cost 300€ outperform them ( but not by much) i'm still buying wireless as itturns out cheaper. anywayz it's nice to have some family working in the hardware distribution sector :hip: