1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Headphones under £60

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MonkeyBoss, 14 Feb 2012.

1. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

Hey bit-tech

im after a pair of headphones under £60

they going to be used mostly for gaming and watching movies now and again

also the more bass the better

been looking at the steel series siberia v2 but not really sure if they would be any good

also dont need a mic, and i got a budget of £60 max

thanks

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  2. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Panasonic RP-HTX7

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For extra bass: Sony MDR-XB500
    A nice balanced headphone on budget: Sony MDR-XD200 (I have those)

For better sound, well Sony would be out, and you need to perhaps look at Sennheiser or something.

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  4. MonkeyBoss

just read a few reviews on these and they seem quite good, they are suppposed to be lacking on mids but awsome on lows and highs, very tempted to buy them, plus they can be had for under £40

thanks handmadeandroid, going to see if anyone can recommend anything else, if not i might end up buying these, +rep

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I managed to pick up a good set of Sennheisers for £50 a while back, not sure if they're still available, however. Still some of the best headphones I've ever used.

6. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Sens HD555 =) can be had for around £60

7. DanSonley

DanSonley What's a Dremel?

agree so much

i got my Sony MDR-XB700 for £55 of amazon and they are amazing. best headphones ive ever used. awesome sound and very comfy. only problem is there pretty large.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

+1 Sony XB700, I used to own a pair and they were fantastic. Very comfortable, but my ears tended to get a bit warm with extended use. This also made them great to use in the winter :lol:

The XB500 has more mid-bass, but less sub-bass.. They sound more 'muddy' than the XB700, if that makes sense.

I also loved the flat cable, great feature which made them less likely to tangle.

A more compact option which also has great bass (though not as much) is the Creative Aurvana Live!, which is a rebadged Denon D1001.

The Sennheiser HD555 can be worn for longer periods than the XB700 just because they're fully open, while the XB700 is only semi open (very small vents vs a completely mesh cup) which means they don't heat up as much. I've directly compared the XB700 and the HD555, and I prefer the Sony. The HD555 has a more neutral sound, but they don't have the powerful bass of the XB700.

Another thing to consider is that the HD555 improves substantially with a headphone amp, while the XB700 doesn't need one to get optimal sound quality. I also don't like the 3 meter cable on the HD555, makes it too awkward to use portably.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  9. MonkeyBoss

thanks for all the suggestions, going to look up on them all tomorrow and hopefully buy one of them :p

ill let you know how it pans out.

ive never had a decent pair of headphones

i used to own a pair of sennheiser IE8's, they were amazing in-ear earphones, didnt leave the house without them, had them for 3 years, then one day my cat decided to practice her hunting/killing skills on them.

the cat died later that day from unkown injuries :dremel: :worried:

nah just kidding, the cats fine, i did chase her around for a while tho :D

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd +1 the Sennheisers. Although get a shorter cable if you can, it's a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, most of the time, that just unplugs from the headphones (No dead cables killing headphones, woot!) so it's not a bugger to replace. And the 1.9M I have here is way too long, so the 3M cable on the 555 would be ridiculous.

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The cable isn't modular on most headphones (including the HD555), shortening the cable means you have to open up the cup, desolder, cut the cable to your preferred length, strip the wires, resolder, and reassemble. Not a big deal, but very annoying to do on some headphones which aren't easy to disassemble.

12. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Definitely the Sonys or Senns. HD555 are great if you can get them cheaper.
    Personal preference which you would prefer though.

The Panasonic were horrible, small, tight headphones when I had them.
    Hated them and was impossible to get rid of them.
    Ended up having to give them away because noone wanted them. :/ Damn impulse buys!

13. MonkeyBoss

So i have had a look around and have decided i want the xb700's, probably is i want to pay using paypal and cant find anywhere to buy them from at a tidy price

got any links guys?