1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling heater cores D:?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huren, 24 Aug 2004.

1. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

hi there people of bit-tech =]

as you can tell im new to this place , but ive just got one question for you extreme coolers ( im guessing that ive posted in the right forum , and im not to sure if this topic has been covered before , as i havnt whored through the complete forums yet , so redirection is fine :blush: )

I was wondering if anyone could please advise me the best model of heatercore.
    Im in the process of home building my own setup , i have my block pump , etc , and all im stuck on now is the rad. a few freinds told to the 93 toyota camary was a good choice but fitting it in my case is slim to nothing , and id rather not externally mount it.

so im wanting a core that i can display pref. at the front side of my case with a 120mm fan , the room that i have to work with b4 hitting obsrtuctions is 175mm from bottom of case to my bay res ( high ) , and 200mm from either side of case ( wide ) .'

'so if any of you gurus of home build extreme cooling could help me out that would be great.

thanks huren.

p.s im really loving these forums :thumb:

2. olv

olv he's so bright

Is Holden the austalian equivalent of Vauxhall? I'm not sure if these applies to australia but in the UK the best, most easily available heater cores are made by Harrison and are usually found in Vauxhall astra's and novas. I think my 2 cores are Harrison Model 90 L which should fit your requirements but the barbs would need repositioning to fit your height requirements.

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Get yourself a core out of a Holden Barina(sp) - there a good size & also solid-copper construction. Some jap cars are Alu/Composite metals for the heatercores.

As for the size though, you'd be pushing it tbh... The Barina cores are ~210x195mm, plus it will need modding to fit.

There might be a few cars out there with smaller cores, but try get a well constructed one...

btw, this is what the Barina core looks like...

[​IMG]

but I had to mod mine, aswell as the case to fit!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

thanks alot guys.
    paulW i think that ill try mod and fit a barina core in .
    a can allow a bit more in regards to height probly another 100m , and all this intails is moving my bayres to a drive slot and out of my floppy bay.
    and also with that this gives me a good reason to put an lcd display in its place now. o the wifes going to hate me and the bank account even more now.

***huren goes of to the wreckers and then starts his project log ......

5. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

the cores on the barina are in the bottom-centre of the dash. I've got pics of when i stripped my old Corsa down (UK name for the Barina)

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/garage.php?action=usergarage&owner=PaulW&carid=319&page=all

it may help, may not...

only issue you may get is shrouds - the DTEK Customs are too small & myself & a few other people on here created our own... well, I still am making mine but I'm a lazy-ass who plays too much doom3 :hehe:

Good luck tho if you decide to strip the dash out yourself & try get to the core - as a bit of help, there are 4 bolts under the scuttle which secure the dash to the bulkhead, remove them & then undo all nuts/bolts inside for the dash, remove glovebox, steering wheel, etc, then just yank as hard as you can - if its at a scrappy there aint no point trying to do a neat job, just aslong as you dont damage your core!

If you do, just find another Barina to slaughter :dremel: :naughty:

Tags: