1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heatsink help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinOwns, 30 Mar 2002.

1. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

My mom needs a comp, her Gateway is a real pos right now. She wants something cheap that will give her a bit of speed for a low low price. So I figured the Duron would do fine for her. All she does is word processing really. (I can save some money on a graphics card for her too! w00t)

Anyway, I was wondering what you all would suggest as a good heatsink for a duron that will not be overclocked. (Most likely a 1GHz or 1.3GHz Duron)

It needs to be something that travels well. It can't sound like an airplane (Loud delta... But I can always replace the fan), but a little noise is okay.

Really the main issue here is what heatsink doesn't cost too much and provides adequate cooling for low cpu usage.

I have been looking at these...
    http://directron.com/mc370.html
    http://directron.com/dp56h51.html
    http://directron.com/wbk68.html

Thanks.

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The MC370 would be overkill for a duron. Quiet is easier to achieve with an 80mm fan (which is why a couple of my friends and my dad use the PAL8045 despite not overclocking, since it is also safe to leave in the machine when moving it).

I think, for reasonable money, performance, noise, and three-clip connection, the evergreen Taisol 760 would have to come top of my list.

3. KevinOwns

4. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The Taisol 734 and 760 are the same, except that the 760 has a copper insert (quite a large one) in the based, while the 734 is all aluminium. A 734 should be adequate for cooling a non-OC duron as long as the case is reasonably well ventilated (say 30CFM in, 30CFM out).

5. KevinOwns

Thanks for all your help :)

I was planning on having a 2 Sunon high output 80mm fans in the case. One in the front, one in the back. So that would be 50cfm in and out.

Looks like it is the 734! Thanks for the quick replys :)

6. KevinOwns

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Do her a favour and use quieter case fans, or 7-volt the Sunons. ;)

(a) They'll be louder than the Taisol (760=excellent HSF btw, I've got one)

(b) Don't forget the psu fan is also exhausting ~35cfm

8. KevinOwns

Okay. Thanks.

I might just get Panaflos if she wants real quiet :)

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I would doubt the PSU putting out 35CFM....mine doesn't anyway (Chieftec 340W....good supply).

Anyway, you should probably do with something like evercools for case fans. The 760 is a good heatsink (as far as I'm aware...I've never actually used one, although a friend of mine has one).