1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Hell Fire - Time To Live Customs - UPDATE 19/12/09

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tinytomlogan, 30 Oct 2008.

1. tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan Time To Live Customs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey there peeps thought Id finaly sit down and share this with you.
    Been meaning to for a long time but Welshy dear old boy keeps changing the componants!

Anyways the info I got from welshy at the start was "Lian Li A70 please mate"
    And then after about an hour i got "dark, maybe evil....hmm deffo black maybe another colour too"

Other than that I could do what I wanted, perfect kinda guy in my opinion!

Theres alot of little things going to be done to the case so I wont bore you in a massive post but the main features will be

Proffesional Spray Job - colour is top secret at the moment :p
    Waterjet cut custom roof and side panel
    Powdercoated chassis
    And a sprinkling of the black stuff - carbon fibre ;)

some stock photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some work is already done, the side panel is cut already, the roof WAS ready also, but thanks to welshy buying a 4870x2 thats all changed.
    There is now a 120.3 going in the roof and a 120.2 in the front.

Side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now Ive been working on this design all week and I think Ive finaly cracked getting flames in to a 120.3 grill and still have good airflow......

[​IMG]

thats going over to be cut again on monday, welshy has been told no more changes now because its a pita getting new roofs!

What do you think of that grill....?

Last edited: 19 Dec 2009
  2. welshd1k

welshd1k New Member

woop woop my pc!!

3. jegerjon

jegerjon New Member

wow! that water-cut job looks excellent, really clean edges.

4. tinytomlogan

Been out in the manshed all morning, been itching to get on with the front of the case all week.
    Right the plan was to cut away the perforated section uin the front of the A70 and remove the switches while there aswell. Then Id insert some mesh and mount the 120.2 behind that. But I had a spare grill cut into the 1st roof so decided to go nuts with the bandsaw, chop up the roof and mount it in the front!

right on with the pictures and you will see!

front and roof before cutting

[​IMG]

Ooooops not much of that left!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is where it will be, Ill bolt or rivet the grill too the case and the rad will mount to this. Ill round off all the edges and the powdercoat should help smooth it off abit.

[​IMG]

***FAO all modders this is a health and saftey warning***
    ***ALWAYS WAIR EYE PROTECTION WHEN CUTTING OR RISK LOOKING A GOON!***
    WRONG WAY
    [​IMG]

RIGHT WAY
    [​IMG]

Took me about 20mins to get it out of my eye!

I cut the original switches and mesh out of the front

[​IMG]

And then inserted the new mesh, its still got its protective coating on thats why its shiney

[​IMG]

I loose bolted in the rad and some fans just as a mock up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a light behind the grill and mesh to show what it will look like when the red led xilence fans will look like in the final build.
    The protective cover and the angle of the camera dont help show the 'D1K' in the name but it looks fine sat here looking at it, just couldnt get the cam to show it with the light :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the rig is off the grill will be almost stealthed, it will only been seen really when the rig is on and lit up!

Thats it for now Im back off out in the shed!

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Nice nice, how much did watercutting cost? it looks really really good.

6. Nolimited

Nolimited New Member

The lian-li case is a good choice :thumb: and i love the cutting that you have done can wait to see the next step :clap:

7. tinytomlogan

Its all in with the build price that Im doing for WelshD1K, its a service that I offer on my website - www.tinytomlogan.co.uk site is still new and will be getting a revamp before xmas.

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

oh nice youve made a business out of it, pity I dont live in the UK.

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Looks good, I was a big fan of Heaven and Hell cant wait to see how this turn out.

I do have one little unrelated question - what typeface did you use for the lettering in the below image?
    [​IMG]

10. tinytomlogan

Finaly got some parts from the Welsh monster this week, so I can mock up before taking the chassis to be powder coated monday, the roof is also done ready to be picked up and Im like a kid at christmas waiting to go and get it!

11. ry@n

ry@n Well-Known Member

That water cutting is the nuts! I love the look the of top cut for the rad, its a lot better than the conventional shape that everyone does!

12. skullen

skullen Member

Looking good :thumb:

13. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Been there! Used a magnet to pull a piece of metal scale out of my eye from my forge. Luckily it was cold when it blew into my eye. My forge is propane fired and dumbass me looked into it when I lit it up. The small explosion that always happens blew all the scale out into my face. One piece hit me right in the middle of my eye. I could actually see it(from the inside)! Looked in a mirror and saw it was laying flat against the lense, so I used a magnet to pull it off.

If you ever get anything in you eyes DON'T RUB IT!!!!! Wash your eyes out with either a hose or faucet. An eye wash would be preferable, but how many of us have one of those? Tap water shouldn't hurt you, unless you have really crappy water.

14. tinytomlogan

UPDATE time :D

Went over to the watercutters today, they picked up on afew mistakes I made on the original design so went over there so they could show me where Id gone wrong. This is my very 1st cad venture so the learning curve has been HUGE!!!!

Anyways we decided to run a test off on some 2mm alu to set the machine up and see if there was any places when actualy cut Id want to change.

The cutter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Action shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Popped it out for a closer look!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know what you guys think but Im well happy.
    I am going to widen afew points just to make it look better in the flesh, but for a 1st test cut Im buzzing!
    Im going to edit the drawing now and the real strengthening plate and the roof will be cut tomorow.

But its all set up, the roof is on some ply to help the metal not lift too much, they have been having to hold it down with weights anyways just where the cuts are so very fine!
    How I left it......
    [​IMG]

So what do you guys think of my very 1st grill design!?

15. camera man

camera man New Member

looks awsome where i live weve got no where with a water jet or any kind of dietiled cutter it sucks

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I like the H2O cuts a lot! :thumb:

Now I have to go find a phonebook to see if we have any of these places in Denver.

Nice designs and well cut. Very good.

john

17. tinytomlogan

Another update! Just got back (yet again) from the water cutters and the powder coaters! Starting work at 5am and working till 5:30pm is starting to take its tole, but when I get to do things like this its all worth while :D
    Pics will explain all :yumyum:

Satin black chassis

[​IMG]

PCI covers ect and some wire covers I had lying about so got them done too for some reason!

[​IMG]

Now big news....... The roof is done!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres a cut for a bulgin right at the front and then the other cuts are for the zalman controller that will be stealthed!

What do you think?

18. turboshifter

turboshifter New Member

looks great man

19. Nolimited

Nolimited New Member

Really nice fan grills and for the first time :thumb:
    Good work :clap:

20. nestcrw

nestcrw New Member

This project looks awesome. I'm a sucker for water-cut things.

I look back at my first mod and how much I learned through my mistakes and time wasting. So I think you're doing really well. The decision to go with water saved you months.

Tags: