1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Anybody From The Old CPC Folding Forums

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by cgcox1, 24 Apr 2009.

1. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm coming round to your point of view. There hasn't been a discussion or even an announcement regarding team/renaming merging? (Unless I've missed it - can someone point it out?) I wasn't aware that bit-tech already had a team. I can't find a post announcing the merger of the teams and asking bit-tech folders to move over to the combined team? I wonder if someone from CPC has spoken to Pande about 'really' merging the teams. ie. adding the bit-tech points to the combined team points? (Is this even possible?)

Can someone from CPC please explain the decision making process regarding renaming the team to 'CustomPC & bit-net' when bit-net already have a team? And tell us who actually made that decision. CPC editor? Dennis management? And when the decision was made?

Not trying to be awkward. I'm trying to understand the logic behind this.

3. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Stanford has a strict policy of not altering points once they're on the stats system.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

To clarify matters: the bit-tech team is no longer in use. I closed the bit-tech folding thread in the Software forum yesterday, after editing it to make it clear that everyone should now be using the joint team. I believe that in the recent bit-tech news article these changes were also explained.

I hope this clears things up :)

5. JackOfAll

Thanks, uncle_fungus.

Fair enough. Was the merger announced on the CustomPC site or somewhere else by someone from CustomPC, rather than bit-tech?

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Nope .... come on guys, this could have been handled MUCH better (you must have been aware of the pending changes for some time??) :sigh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Without going into details, we (the CPC & bit-tech editorial team) were given precious little time by Dennis to organise the transfer of the forums from the old site to the new site. Unfortunately that's one of the occasional downsides of working for a huge company - certain decisions get taken at a much higher level.

However, while the move itself was certainly rather rapid (to say the least), it does have multiple advantages.

1. The new forum is much faster and more reliable.
    2. Bit-tech has much more traffic than custompc.co.uk, which should help to inject some new life blood into the team.

As uncle_fungus has already pointed out Stanford won't transfer points between teams so we decided to merge the Custom PC and bit-tech teams. As the Custom PC team was so much larger it lives on, with bit-tech added to the end of the name, while the original far smaller bit-tech team will hopefully join in. As such if you've made the move from the old custompc.co.uk forum you don't have to make any changes to your folding rigs, as the team number (35947) remains the same.

8. JackOfAll

Yes, I understand that. Dennis made a decision regarding the custompc.co.uk site and you're living with it.

When the Folding forum was initially setup on bit-tech it was the 'Custom PC' folding forum. The team name was still 'Custom PC'. Later it was changed to be a joint venture, both the name of the forum and the team name. I did not initially realize that bit-tech had their own team. It actually makes it worse, the merging of the teams, when the bit-tech points accrued so far cannot be added to the combined team. It doesn't matter that those points may be seen as insignificant compared to the Custom PC total. If I'd been folding for bit-tech I'd be pretty pissed about 'orphaning' my team points and starting again for the merged team. But then again, that would have to be balanced against the fact that I'd be moving to a team that is much higher placed in the rankings. From the Custom PC folder point of view, it would have been have been seen as 'fairer' at the point of merging the teams, if the points accrued so far by the bit-tech team were added to a new combined total. ie. justification for their name being included on the merged team.

I am still looking for an announcement by Custom PC. The announcement where someone, (perhaps by you James), explained to the Custom PC folders that the 'Custom PC' team was going to be renamed/merged, before it actually took place?

I have changed my opinion. I think it is wrong that the 'Custom PC' team should be renamed/merged to 'Custom PC & bit-tech'. bit-tech folders did not generate points for the Custom PC team, they had their own team. If their points cannot be moved to the new team, I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem fair to merge. The point is that there is no merger. Just a simple renaming of the Custom PC team. I can understand why people who have folded for the Custom PC team for years would be miffed that bit-tech get credit for work done so far by the Custom PC team when they haven't actually contributed to it and the 'real' bit-tech team points can't be 'merged' to it. I'm not sure that you've thought this through.

9. DocJonz

The points can't be merged (see Unc Fungus's post), and I am very, very surprised that Stanford allowed renaming of the team .........

10. JackOfAll

Yes, I understand that the points cannot be merged. It's the fact that the bit-tech team points cannot be added/merged to another team, the Custom PC team, that makes the renaming of the Custom PC team (to include bit-tech) a farce.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  11. JackOfAll

The team 'owner' can do that at any time if they have the password. Whether it is ethical or even sensible to do that without telling your team in advance is another matter.

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

The team's name wasn't only changed to accommodate the old bit-tech folding team - it's also to encourage bit-tech readers who weren't folding at al to join the new team, who might have been put-off if the team had continued to simply be called 'custom pc'. Therefore adding bit-tech to the end of the existing team name was considered the less of two evils (as opposed to starting a whole new combined team from scratch).

13. Majik

Majik Another CPC refugee

I agree and really don't see what the fuss is. We've still got our team, no points lost and may gain a few more folders from the Bit-Tech community when they see the passion for folding on these threads.

Ethical? I think Stanford have more important things to deal with than a change of name such as, I don't know, medical research. The current Bit-Tech team will carry on but as there are not that many active folders and we may encourage more to start folding for either team. Good for the cause!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 May 2009
  14. JackOfAll

Encouragement? I'm sure that I'd be encouraged to 'abandon' my old team if I could join a new one that was renamed to imply I'd contributed to get it to number 5 in the rankings. What about the Custom PC folders who got the team to number 5 in the rankings to start with? Are they encouraged? Getting more people to fold is a worthy cause. Encouraging a specific group of people who may have been put-off if the team had continued to simply be called 'custom pc'.... I'm not sure that you've struck a good balance. Perhaps we should ask other teams, lower down than the Custom PC team is in the rankings to come and join us? Lets approach the fictional XXXX team. We'll change our team name to 'Custom PC & bit-tech & XXXX'. We'll credit them, (by changing our team name to append theirs), for our position 5 ranking, but they don't have to do anything other than fold for their 'new' team? Sorry, we can't transfer the points you've built up so far to the new team, but not to worry, we've got more points than you and it'll look like you helped to generate them anyway 'cause that's implied by the fact that our team has been renamed to include your name.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but more and more I think you're doing a disservice to the people who have folded for years for Custom PC and got it to the position it is at now.

15. JackOfAll

I'm not talking about Stanford. I'm talking about whether it is ethical for whoever at Custom PC chose to give joint credit to the points accrued by the Custom PC team to bit-tech folders, who have/had their own team and their own points.

16. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

:jawdrop: I have finally found my way across like everyone else somewhat bemused!

17. DocJonz

You - and the rest of us ..... glad you made it ;)

[​IMG]

18. Majik

Majik Another CPC refugee

Point taken and I'm sorry. :(

I miss the old site as I appear to have trod on a few toes already. :brrr:

[​IMG]

19. JackOfAll

No problem. You tread on my toes as much as you like. I'm thick skinned!

20. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Custom PC & bit-tech. If they move over to help us with folding all the better.