1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice HELP - Budget £500 less PC for TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trixla, 23 Jul 2010.

1. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

Hi,

A friend needs a PC and needs to be hooked up to a TV. He doesn't have enough room for a separate PC monitor and laptops are too small for him. It is also likely to be on all day. I'm hoping someone can help.

Budget:
    Between £400 - £500. Lesser is better lol.

Main uses of intended build:
    Internet, watching DVD's, a lot of internet streaming like On Demand, BBC I Player. No games

Parts required:
    cpu - preferably Intel e.g. I3/I5. I don't know too much about AMD.
    motherboard - Asus? Gigabyte?
    memory - 2GB or 4GB (unsure what is sufficient for watching on TV)
    graphics card - ok to watch on TV
    PSU
    Heatsink Cooler
    Case Fans/Heatsink CPU Fan(s)
    Case - Mini ATX (unsure aluminium with less fans or steel with more fans)
    Not required - mouse, keyboard, windows.

Monitor resolution:
    TV

Storage requirements:
    500 GB only i think.

Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)
    would like the option in the future

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Onboard Sound.

Extra information about desired system:
    like the option to upgrade in the future.

Thanks

Last edited: 23 Jul 2010
  2. registeredlandmine

registeredlandmine What's a bit-tech?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/07/13/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-july-2010/2

replace the gpu with like a cheap one (£50), perhaps drop down to 2GB of ram no need for after makret cooler and perhaps a smaller case or whatever suits your louge or whereever its going. I think going i3 would be overkill for this rig. A matx motherboard pretty much the cheapest am3 that supports ddr3 should be about £50, or go ddr2 if you want to save money, i say all this cause i presume you won't be overclocking. You also might want to consider going mini ITX which i know even less about. The build in your rig seems pretty good so i presumed you know how to put together a pc so stayed rather unspecific because i either don't know much about it or its personal choice really,(like if you really want i3 or ddr3 memory and case. Am3 leaves you the option to upgrade easily, tbh this should quite easily be do-able for under £400.