1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help building gaming/photo editing pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by remus, 1 Aug 2010.

1. remus

remus Vanity mate.

Budget: 600
    Main uses of intended build: gaming/photo/video editing pc
    Parts required: Nothing specifically
    Previous build information (list details of parts): Hiper 580w PSU, AMD 3700+, geforce 7800 gt, asus micro atx board (can't remember model), 2 gb pc3200, win xp.
    Monitor resolution: 1680x1050
    Storage requirements: 500GB
    Will you be overclocking: No, i'm after pure stability for now
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): No
    Extra information about desired system: Windows 7 and I would like to keep my current monitor, case and psu if possible.

A friend of mine wants me to play star trek online with him and my pc can't handle some tf2 maps when the the **** hits the fan, my current system just seems to be getting slower and slower, takes about 10 min to start up now :/

I was thinking of getting a Q6600 based build but i'm completely out of the loop hardware wise so I don't know how much better the i series/phenom cpus are, so i'm at your mercy here!:rock:

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

What is your current case? The Hiper power supply, most people would recommend changing them, as would I; while there are people who haven't had them go, it's a risk that you might not want to take.

If I were you, I'd take a look at this: Enthusiast Overclocker - July 2010. However, I'd back down to a 768MB GTX460 (£150), 1333MHz DDR3 memory instead of the faster stuff (£75), and take away the cooler and the case as you want to run the system at stock speeds. Now, after that, you're looking at £655 roughly, including an OEM copy of Windows 7 HP 64 bit (£80 or so). While that is over budget, it is worth the extra money. For the hard drive, a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB can be found for £37.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This ^ sounds like sound advice to me.