1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help changing my lock

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 13 Mar 2019 at 14:10.

1. silk186

silk186 Canadian

I'm renting a flat and want to change the lock cylinder because it doesn't have a thumb turn and I caught someone trying to break in before. After some research, I ordered a Yale platinum thumb turn cylinder.

The new cylinder arrived today and I realised my cylinder is an oval cylinder, not a euro cylinder :wallbash:

Should I look for an oval cylinder with a thumb turn, I've not come across any that look decent.
    Or, I can convert the oval to a euro cylinder. I don't know if I should give up and buy a cheap oval cylinder or try to convert to the euro cylinder I have.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd buy a cheap (but reasonable) oval cylinder.

silk186 likes this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

Converting the door to Euro would be costly and a PITA, can't you just leave a key in it?

Failing that what wolfticket said.

silk186 likes this.
  4. silk186

silk186 Canadian

Leaving the key in it only works if you remember to remove it every time you go out. I has already cost me £70. I thought it would be a simple cylinder swap but I seem to have bad luck. I will order a cheap oval cylinder with a thumb turn before I lock myself out again.

5. silk186

silk186 Canadian

I'm looking and they are not very common. At least they are cheap.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Lunatic on the Grass.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Looks like a standard DIN lock body. Keep your Euro cylinder, pop out the curent lock body and slot in a new DIN body that accepts a Euro cylinder, then install it. OVal cylinders are getting less and less common, so that would set you up in the long run.