1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Help, coffee spilt on laptop!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mansueto, 22 Mar 2014.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Just looking for some suggestions on how to handle a laptop that has had coffee spilt on it. My brother spilt it all over the keyboard, so I told them to uplug it, take the battery out, and hang it upside down so the coffee wouldn't seep further into it. We dried it off with paper towels and have it sitting face down on the keyboard on a towel. I've suggested leaving it unplugged for a couple days to dry, and they also used a blow drier to dry some of it up.

The laptop is only a year or 2 old so trying to prevent any damage. I also suggested putting it somewhere dry in a bag of rice, but they chose not to. Should I open it up tomorrow to check the keyboard / internals? I didn't see the spill so I actually don't know how much got in.

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Take out the hard drive, and get all the important files from it now.

Then you can start taking it apart and drying it properly.

mansueto likes this.
  3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Alcohol wash any bare PCB components touched by the coffee!

mansueto likes this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Agreed. Even when it's dry, the dried coffee stains will cause shorts and malfunctions.

mansueto likes this.
  5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah they also go sticky if there was any milk or sugar in it..

I spilt a tiny bit of coffee into my M11x keyboard a year or so back and it really made it annoying. Didn't cause any damage, just caused the keys to stick and make clicking sounds when typed on.

Thankfully the keyboard gave up the ghost (space bar fell out) so I got a new one. I'm a darn sight more careful with it now :D

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Hard-drive looks dry and clean, so I'm going to assume that's still safe. I've got the keyboard out now and there is a bit of coffee remains under it, but most of it is actually in the keyboard itself. It the keyboard goes, it's simple enough to buy a replacement online for it. I'll take the entire thing apart to ensure everything is clean underneath, just to be sure.

Would a microfibre cloth that is just a smidge damp be a good starting point? Follow it up with another clean microfibre cloth and rubbing alcohol to ensure there's nothing left?

Update: Cleaned it with a damp cloth, then with rubbing alcohol, then left it a few more hours to air dry. Turned it on, everything was fine, keys all work properly, and the laptop smells like coffee, so not bad. Rep has been given, thanks for the advice!

Last edited: 22 Mar 2014