1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Help for a friend

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by The_Beast, 19 May 2007.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The D40 is pretty good for a budget dSLR. Most of us on here have bought the Canon 300/350/400d which is the direct alternative. If you buy into a dSLR bear in mind you're now locked into that brand if you also invest in lenses.

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi.

The Nikon D40 and Canon 400D are probably the most popular entry level dSLR camera's at the moment. Bouth are very good camera's and will get you alot of camera for your money.

If you are serious about photography, the choice is more then just the camera itself though. You are choosing a brand and will invest in lenses that go with your brand of camera, wich will mean it will be very hard (and expensive) to switch brands later on. Keep that in mind.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You didn't mention a budget, but there is also the D40x with the 10MP sensor and a few tweaks. Also I should mention the D50 and D70 are good value now as Nikon finishes the transition to it's "new" line up. If your friend is just starting out and isn't caught up in the MP hype, the D50 and D70 are well proven platforms. But at this point in the product cycle, both Canon and Nikon have great entry level models.

5. The_Beast

On different forums I have heard that the powershot is a better camera for the price, is that true?

this is what he said

6. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

The powershot is not a dSLR, so it does not have interchangeable lenses and such. Its just a different type of camera altogether, not really meant for the professional effort.

7. The_Beast

My friend is no professional

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

You're friend will have to make a choice between a dSLR and a compact/hybrid camera. It's a totally different world.

Remember that with a dSLR the costs will not stop with the purchase of the camera + kitlens. Chances are that he will be buying a proper tripod, extra lenses, flash, bags, .. and form his 'kit' along the way.

L

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not to mention the Olympus E1, a 5mp full frame semi-professional model that is several years old and can now get picked up for a song. Otherwise there is the 10mp Olympus E400, which is going cheap now its slightly updated brother the E410 has come out.

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yeah we've got the e400 for £350 at Currys now :)

<A88>

11. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Tags: