1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Help from you europeans

Discussion in 'General' started by Samurai75007, 17 May 2005.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

Here’s a question for you Europeans. What do I need to do to buy a car in England to drive from England to Italy for a visit to the automotive manufacturers and a day stop off at the Nuremberg racetrack? I think I can use my license over there but ill need something, a site or a book with most of the sign’s and such ill need to know. I’m going to buy in north England and ship the car out of somewhere in Italy back to Texas to use as a track car unless I can get the car converted to use in the United States. I have some friends in Germany that Ill be staying at there so it wont cost as much but with both the pound and the euro higher then the dollar it will take a year or more to save up enough this isn’t going to happen anytime soon so I have time but thanks in advance. At this time I am setting up an account in Germany because that’s where I will spend most of my time and last time I went my bank here had some troubles paying things there so this way there will be no problems.

Thank's again Samurai :thumb:

2. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I dont know much about the laws of driving in Europe if your from the states although i shouldnt think there's a problem. However i am wondering why you would buy a car from the UK????????

I mean us Brits have to put up with stupid prices even compared to other european countries nevermind the fact that it would make more sense to buy it in Germany or somewhere else thats also RHS drive as the states is. Would you enlighten me please :D :thumb:

3. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

Well the majority of the reason was because that’s where I would like to start from but if I can get one of my friends to get it in Germany and bring it to England and then wouldn’t mind driving back with me. This would be better. I plan on shipping the car back when I get through and make it my track car unless it can be a streetcar but some of the cars I am looking at wont pass everything.

Last edited: 18 May 2005
  4. mUrml

mUrml New Member

Well I would buy the car in either Sweden (yea) or Germany, since it's there where the cars are cheapest. And as mentioned, the cars in Britain are Left hand steered.

As for speed limits, some of germany's highways (autobahn) are without speedlimits, and others are around 130km/h I think. I don't know about Italy, but I recall them being a bit lower.
    I know several americans living in germany (Rammstein Air base), and they seem to have got no trouble with german traffic. As for traffic signs in Germany, try this site.

Regarding import of the car, it shouldn't be a big problem, only the other way around because the cars in Europe are built different (bigger brakes and such) than the american. I know of some peeps, who got their german car back to the states without much difficult.

Hope it helps, and good fun with the trip.

PS, If you be looking for an internetsite concerning selling/buying cars in Germany try www.mobile.de
    Cars are called PKW
    Trucks/lorries are called LKW
    And motorcycles are Motorräder
    So press the PKW Suchen button to search for cars :)
    (just in case you don't understand german)

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

6. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

Thank's mUrml, and GreatOldOne for the help. I have been looking at a few cars mostly far shot's started to think about the SMART roadster because we don’t have them. Then I started to think about a R32 or R33 skyline but wouldn’t be able to bring it in even as a race only car. So off on the search.

7. mUrml

mUrml New Member

Why don't you try something like a bmw 540, a Mercedes CLK or something in that order. Great long distance cars, and with a few modifications (we are modders after all :D ) they can be great track cars.
    Or what about Subaru Impreza, or Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII or VIII, great track cars, great fun.

But good luck with the project, and glad I could help :)

8. shroom

shroom New Member

Last I heard about the autobahn is certain roads are dynamically governed, as in the speed limit is an led sign that changes, as well as certain restrictions, such as no passing trucks etc.

Theres a real nice car I've heard about thats over in europe but I cant remember what it was. Its japanese though, so I'm not sure what kind of car your looking at.

9. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

mUrml I have been thinking of getting one of the older M5's they are running around 6,000 Euro.

Shroom the LED sigh's that your talking about that I have seen change for traffic to move faster or slower.. there could be other thing's that can be put on the sign's to, kind of cool.

I am talking with some of the people with Ultimate Rally to see if I can drive a support truck. Should be fun. Get to go to the party’s and such but would push this back some more considering it's 2k to do it.

10. hardflipman

hardflipman New Member

if you're wanting a brand new car then europe is cheaper but britain is much cheaper fr second hand cars... i know someone living in spain who came back to britain to buy a second hand car and drove it back to spain...

11. penski

penski BodMod

British cars are Right Hand Drive, not Left Hand Drive as Murml stated.

You can probably get an E30 BMW M3 in Germany for relatively cheap. They're all LHD so getting one in the UK wouldn't be that bad either - brilliant cars too.

Or if you're in the UK, A Ford Sierra XR4x4 - 2.8 litre V6, tunable as anything and can take the BIG V6 from an Explorer. www.xr4x4.co.uk

*n

12. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

The Left hand drive doesn’t matter we can have them there is not problem. I am going more and more to the E34 M5 most look like 6-8000 for 80,000 mi on the car. But I would use this to race so I am going to take it apart and rebuild everything so the mileage won’t matter.

Tags: