1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics help getting these motors running..

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Springs, 9 Feb 2007.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

need some help.. got this old r/c tank that i got ages ago and being me i took it apart after i broke it and didnt put it back together afterwards..

anyways a lot of the wires came off and i cant easily tell what came from what.. now ive got the power working but i want to get the motors running so i can drive it around...

anyways here is a pic of the unit..

[​IMG]

now ive got 4 wires i cant really identify.. one is a black stripped wire which i think comes from the resistor and then i got 2 more black wires with resistors on and a red one with a resistor on... any ideas on where they could go?

2. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

need more detail, i cant understand what you said. can you get more pics of the wires and more detail?

3. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

looks like a pair of normal RC hobby motors to me they'll need to linked to some kind of speed controller. but as he said need more detail.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just put in new wires (two to each motor) and bruteforce how they must be connected to the speed controller. If this is a cheap toy, all the electronics are most likely on one PCB and you must first find the place where they should be connected and then trial'n'error which lead goes where.

There's no change you'll blow something if you just stick them to the right place, DC-motors are controlled by just switching the + and - wire around.

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

You have 4 wires, so hook those up to a battery. Just do trial and error until you find out which wires go to which motor.

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

[​IMG]

thats the pcb ive named the wires..

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah that's a piece of cake? Red and black wire to each motor and you're ready to go. Tho I bet you've messed something up because those four on the right side of the PCB look the right ones. Two reds and two blacks.

8. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

yes, the wires connected to two power transistors (or fets? or voltage regulators?) look quite similar... The big (thickest) black wire is definitely the common ground, looking at the other wire connected to the same pad... That makes the last red wire the common V+ (and the white wire soldered to the same pad confirms that)

The only thing you'll have to figure out by trial and error is which side of the motors should have red, and which side should have black...

Can you show us the other side of that PCB? I'm quite interested in the components on that thing

9. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

just looking at the back side of the PCB...
    [​IMG]
    I made my annotations in yellow,

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yep, there's no doubt the above is correct.