1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gretzky, 1 Apr 2003.

1. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

Ok i got 200 bucks and I am purchasing the following

Chieftec Workstation case with Window = 50
    3 Cooler Master 26DBA case fans = 17.50
    Alpha PAL8492 = 30

= 97.50 = 112 shipped

Now I cant decide on the following. I can only get one

60gig Seagate HardDrive = 86
    WD 60gig 8mb Cache = 91
    Samsung PC3200 512DDR ram = 83
    or another stick of Corsair Value Ram 512DDR PC2700 = 76

-=System Specs=-
    Pentium4 2.4B@2.7 Retail/Stock cooling
    ABIT BH7
    Corsair 512DDR PC2700 Value ram @ 2 5 2 2 1/1
    Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB
    SB Live! 5.1
    Maxtor 40gig
    Pioneer DVD rom
    PlexWriter CDRw
    Generic Beige Case :(
    Antec True380

I am a moderate gamer, just sometimes Warcraft3 or Quake3. I stared getting into overclocking the past few weeks and I think my current ram is holding me back. And my Maxtor HD is almost filled and its so loud :(.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions :)

2. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

An interesting choice,

I wouldn't bother with the extra 512 2700 ram, what you have should be enough for most things. A program like cpu cool from www.podien.de should show you how much memory you are using in general activities.

With the extra headroom on the 3200 ram, you should get a general boost in performance. I don't know anything about P4 overclocking though, do you have any control over multipliers?
    If you overclock you may need a new chip cooler, mem coolers, extra case fans etc.

As for the two drives, the seagate is quieter, but the WD will be a bit quicker, both have good reliability,

More info at www.storagereview.com

Edit, Although Samsung memory has a pretty good reputation, Crucial, Corsair and Kingston area also worth looking at. See if you can find a mention in a review of which brand your motherboard prefers

Last edited: 2 Apr 2003
  3. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

if you watch some cheapstake forums you can find really good deals on Harddives (i think people had a 40 giger at $14 the other day) I know this is kinda off subject but it might help to streach your money.
    hardocp cheapstake forums

just search around, you might have to wait a bit for the deal you want but it will usualy happen. I have also had alot of luck on ebay.

4. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

i would go with the hard drive !! it seems the best deal and for like 8 dollars more at newegg u can get one thats 80 8meg

5. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

One more question. If you guys had a choice between memory modules but there is a little money budget which would you get?

Kingston HyperX PC3000 512 = 90
    Corsair XMS PC3200 512 = 146

I mean the price difference is huge and is there a big performance difference between PC3200 and PC3000?

6. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

It depends on just how much you want to squeeze out of your P4.
    The Corsair is very good and with low latencies, but Kingston are also a well recognised make.
    If the difference were $20 I would say go with the Crucial, but at $50, I'm sure you could get more fun per $ spending it elsewhere.
    The Crucial will be faster, but you may not be able to use its full potential, is it worth a possible 2-3% performance increase?

XMS review http://www.deviantpc.com/reviews/cxms3200/index.shtml

Last edited: 4 Apr 2003
  7. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

Wow I didnt even think about Crucial but it a little expensive, I mean 125 bucks. I am a college student lol

There is also Samsung which looks like they have nice ram for a nice price :).

I can get Samsung PC3200 512DDR for 86 bucks

SO my choice is between is Kingston HyperX PC3000 and Samsung