1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Help me find some switches for my case.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dead Ghost, 11 May 2007.

1. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

If you know a good place in US where i can find a switch looking like this one (with or without lights), i would be very gratefull:
    [​IMG]
    I need two momentary switches (for reset and power) and one latching switch (for tuning on\off the power to the leds - lighting- inside the case).
    Thx.

2. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

what exactly is that?

3. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Could you perhaps get a better picture. Thats quite a pants photo (no offence)

4. Dead Ghost

That's a movie still and zoomed, that's why it looks so bad.
    Basically it's a rectangular, flat, illuminated, white switch. I need two types of switches, one to replace the power and reset switches of the case, and one for controlling the lights inside the case (on\off).

5. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

6. Dead Ghost

Thx for the link, this is what i was looking for: http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5700045x.htm
    But i don't know what type of switch is, it doesn't says anywhere on the page if it's SPST or SPDT or DPST or whatever. :confused: For reset and power, i think i need a SPST Momentary ((ON)-OFF
    ) switch and for turning on and off the lights, i need a DPST (Dual ON-OFF) switch or a SPST (ON-OFF). If i am wrong, please correct me.

7. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

All of those buttons use what is called a "cherry switch" Its a SPDT switch attached to the bottom of almost all arcade and gambling machines. It allows a wide variety of buttons all using the same components for easy repair.

With some very mild modification you could attach anything you want to the back of them.

If you look closely you can see this on the back

[​IMG]

Its the exact same on all those buttons you see on that link

As for the kind of switches you need. I used these for the power and reset for my computer thats in my arcade cabinet and also used them to turn a relay on and off for the lighting on the cabinet. Hope that helps

Last edited: 12 May 2007
  8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know the switch you mean, you're after the ones in Luke's X-Wing cockpit, or similar anyway.

9. Dead Ghost

Abom, thank you for your help. One more question(s) about the lights:
    I understand the switch comes with 14V bulb. How do i power this from my pc's PSU? Or should i buy a 12V replacement LED, like the last two from this list? And if so, why the 7 usd difference between the last two? Just because the colour? :confused: Or should i buy a 12v cluster LED? It's cheaper too... :rolleyes:

Oh, and one last thing, can i put some sort of printed paper labels under the plastic cap? I understand it's removable (easily?)

Krikkit, almost all the SF movies from that time used this kind of switches. Anyway, it's not from Star Wars, but from another movie, whitch my theme case project is based on. I'll give a cookie to the one who guesses the movie. :D Here is a the full picture:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Last edited: 13 May 2007
  10. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

I just underpowered it straight off a molex on my pc, 12 v for over a year now and no issues. The 12v leds would work if you need/want to. And depending on the button you can put labels underneath the buttons but I didnt see any translucent ones so I'm not sure how well it will glow through. I had a friend cut out custom vinyl decals I then put on top of the buttons, works great.

One thing to consider is that happ will custom print stuff on your buttons, so if you need something custom you can just call them and work it out. They are really cool guys, most of thier time is spent on video poker machines so when they hear of something new they are all over it. I spent many days in there poking around (they are in vegas btw)

11. Dead Ghost

When are the lights lit? Only when you press the button, when they are on, or all the time?

About the printing, i saw this picture and i was thinking i could put a label under the clear lens cap. Or should i use a clear cover like this one? Can you still push the button with the cover on?

12. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

as far as I know they are always lit, mine are. As long as the buttons you buy have a clear top you can put the white label with whatever you wanted printed on it underneath it. But I didnt see that option with the rectangular buttons you were looking at. And I have no idea about the clear covers, never used or seen one.

Good luck

13. Dead Ghost