1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME PLEASE (bout to cry)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DSquareD, 18 Apr 2007.

1. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

ok ok ok, so the past few weeks have been grave weeks with my system. i have been experiencing so many different problems that i have never had before and im about to cry. my latest rpoblem is that my computer seems to cut out or lose steam along the way and it just dies and then when i try powering it up again it doesnt want to turn on, only turns on after a few minutes wait. is there something wrong with my PSU?

(other problems i experience are: msn has lately been sending a major virus through instant messages and it affected my computer as well as many others of my friends computers. i got rid of it but i do get the odd virus that creeps through even with AVG running all the time. i also have a tune up utilities programme that usually cleans my comp of any errors but lately it doesnt seem to make a difference. another problem im havin is all of a sudden my pop up blocker is not working as everytime i browse the web the same pages about my computer not being protected and that i should download WinAntiVirus 2007 keeps coming up. it seems my comp has AIDS or HIV and is dying. what can be the problem or source of the problem?...my last resort will be to back up my files and format my computer but if i can avoid this please help me.)

my main concern is deffinately the power trips though. please explain if u knw wat is rong with it and if it is my PSU.

thanx so much bit-tech readers....
    SIckest Gunner is Desperate!!!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You still have the virus on your system. You need to wipe the lot and start again. If it craps out because of an overheating PSU you need a new PSU or better ventilation.

System specs would help too :)

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Have you got any idea on what temperatures the cpu is running at? It could be an over heating shut down, possibly the same for the psu. I had this with my 2500xp-m and nf7-s, never could fox it.

As for the rest of it, can you give us a full spec list please?

EDIT: damn you bindi and your dancing blue badger (thats what I have decided it is)

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

After any major virus infection there is only ever one thing to do - reformat.

Reformatting & reinstalling will also give you peace of mind that it's no longer a virus that's shutting down your PC. There have been multiple viruses that cause random reboot's.

It does sound like a hardware issue though as said previously. Try taking the side off of your case to increase ventilation and see if that improves anything.

Before you run out to buy anything though borrow somone else's PSU and give that a try. It would be a shame tobuy something only to find out later that it's something else causing the problem.

To prempt the usual questions, if you need a new PSU the contenderes are:

Corsair
    Silverstone
    OCZ

With any of those you cant go wrong. Hope this helps :thumb:

5. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

It's not just any badger...it's a badger on botox - Check out the lips :D

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and some wacky drugs, share you selfish blue thingy

7. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

I had the same Winantivirus problem, and can guarantee you that AVG is incapable of removing it, safe mode or otherwise. Similarly, ad aware and spyblock are helpless. You could try the new anti-rootkit thing that Grisoft (AVG) have on their site now.

I ended up reinstalling.

8. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

here are my system specs: Intel P4 3.0 Ghz processor
    2x HDD (80gig and 120gig Maxtors)
    2x 512mb Ram
    ATI Radeon RX9550 Gfx GPU
    im using the stock PSU my system came with when i bought it. and i am running on XP Home Edition.

i thought of sumthin last nite. i found an old system that my dad had lying around so i went scrounging through it and i pillaged an old fan used as an extrator fan. so i removed it and put it in my system. the thing is that i dont see how this could be sapping power or causing a short of some sort because i installed it about a month and a half ago so why only act up now?-just a thought....