1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AW3K, 20 Apr 2002.

1. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

i need help ,

i just got a blue orb from maplin for £6.50 and i wanna know if it'll fit a voodoo 3 2000 with the pins in the right place. erm and how do i remove the old HS .??

Cheers
    Later

AW3K

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Looking at the voodoo 3, the heatsink looks as if it is glued on. To be honest, it also looks as if it's going to work better than the blue orb anyway...

If you still want to do it, the best way to remove the stock heatsink is freezer trick v2.0. Get one of those compressed air dust blower cans. Hold it upside-down, and squirt on the heatsink. This will spray out the liquid, instead of air, which evaporates very fast, and can VERY quickly take the heatsink to below freezing. Then slide a piece of card or an old credit card or something under the heatsink, all the way up to the chip under the heatsink. Then slide a flat-head screwdriver between the piece of card and the heatsink (the piece of card is to prevent damage to the video card from the screwdriver). With all that in place, and with the heatsink having been "frozen", give the screwdriver a little push, to try to lever the heatsink off. It should just pop off, hopefully not taking the voodoo chip or the core protector off the chip with it.

If something does go wrong, it's not my fault. Usual disclaimer, don't do this, your responsibility, etc...

3. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

ive got a voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16meg running in my second computer and i agree that the big grey heatsink does get rather hot which causes instability.

So like yourself i went to Maplin, and instead of bothering with attaching a better heatsink, i bought one of those system blowers. Ok they take up a PCI slot, but they suck the air away from my voodoo and blow it out the back. Reduced the idle temp from 45 to 29 degrees!!

4. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

cheers guys

i think i'm gonna leave it as it is for now anyway, can't afford a new gfx card if i brake it :p

Later

AW3K

5. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

Sounds like Seb835's idea will work for the time being. This way, you dont have to work on braking your card, and you can lower your temps by ALOT!