1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Help needed with choosing GFX card. 460 vs 5850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aragon Speed, 11 Nov 2010.

1. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I need some advice. Within the next month I shall be upgrading my GFX card and have been seriously looking at a 1GB 460.

I have a maximum budget of £170 (and I mean maximum) and for that price the best looking cards are the 460's, but with the recent price drops of the 5850's I am now wondering whether to go for one of these cards instead.

On paper the 5850 is slightly faster, but the 460's OC like demons. I know the 5850's OC as well, but I can't find anywhere listing an OC'ed 460 and an OC'ed 5850 together.

Which one out of the two would you recommend once the OC'ing is taken into account?

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  2. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 New Member

One thing you have to bare in mind is that almost all 5850 in shops now are non-reference, so you won't be able to tweak voltage for higher overclock (MSI/Asus's 5850 support voltage tweak, but whether or not you can find one at £170 that's a different question.

You can get a GTX470 at £165 upward:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1810&sortby=priceAsc
    Which is around 10% faster than 5850 on average, and can overclock from stock speed 607MHz to 820~850MHz, which would be faster than a stock speed GTX480...provided that you can keep the temp under control. The cons of GTX470 is that it is high power consumption, hot and the cooler can be loud, but you get performance and speed to make up for it.

6870...well, it's hard to find one at £170 range now, as it's now £190~£200 almost everywhere. If we are comparing stock speed to stock speed, the 6870 is on par with the GTX470- win some lose some depending on the game, however when it comes to overclocking, the performance gain on the 6870 is not as great as the GTX470, as the 6870 has a high default clock speed of 900MHz, and it would only overclock to 950~975MHz on average, which put it at around 5870 speed. So basically for the 6870, at the cost of a bit lesser performance a speed, you get the benefit of a lower power consumption, cooler running card which would most likely be quieter.

But do bare in mind unlike before when both GTX470 and 6870 were around the £175~£180 price mark, average GTX470 prices has now dropped, where as the 6870 on the other hand has rised.

On a seperate note, 6850 and GTX460 1GB are basically on par with each other in most aspect, even down to overclocking...but with the GTX460 1GB now slightly cheaper than the 6850 on average:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1830&sortby=priceAsc
    ...and the Gigabyte and MSI Cyclone has a better custom cooler for the GTX460 1GB. There's also the difference in feature (i.e. Eyefinity vs Physx+CUDA+Folding), and the 6850 being lower power consuming only require 1x6 pin PCI-E connector, where as the GTX460 1GB require 2x6 pin PCI-E connector.

3. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

There are reasons for both, tbh its mostly personal preference and depends which one you can get a better deal on.

Personally I'd go for a 460 and overclock the bejesus out of it :rock:

4. Aragon Speed

I am worried about noise which is why I was looking at the 460 and not the 470. Only way to get a reasonably quiet 470 is to go with a non-stock cooler - and that bumps the price up to just outside my range.

Couldn't give a rats arse about Eyefinity, CUDA, or folding TBH. I only use the card for gaming and thus Phyx is really the only thing that may swing the balance for me. If I am going to go for a card because of Physx, then that has little influence over which Nvidia card I would get as I would use my old 9600GT as a dedicated card for physx anyway. ;) TBH Physx is a nice addition, but it is not something I am going to base a choice on as I would miss very little in most games by not having it.

Apart from the associated extra noise needed for heat control, I am not too worried about power consumption. I have an Antec P182 case, and while not exactly top of the range for cooling, it isn't exactly a slouch either, so shifting heat is not so much an issue for me as I will only be using a single card. If I was going to be running dual cards then it would be more of an issue obviously. ^^

I may look into a 470 though, just to see what prices I can get, but realistically it still looks like a toss up between a 460 and a 5850. The new 6XXX range it just too expensive for me to look at currently.

EDIT.

OK just found a 470 over at scan for £175, so it is a little over my budget, but I am sure the cats won't mind being shorted on food for a couple of days. XD http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280...gpu-630mhz-shader-1260mhz-448-cores-dvi-mhdmi

So would you guys recommend this card over the other two?

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  5. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 New Member

If we are comparing stock to stock, the GTX470 is AT LEAST 20% faster than the GTX460 1GB. Also the performance gain per clock on overclocking the GTX470 is much great than overclocking the GTX460 1GB. Overclocking the GTX460 1GB would put it at 5870 speed at best, but overclocking the GTX470 would put it at little beyond GTX480 speed.

Bottomline is, it's all down to how much you want to spend, and how's much would the extra heat and noise vs performance matters to you.

On the sidenote, Ebuyer is currently selling Gigabyte GTX460 1GB at £142.99:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853

6. james-milligan

james-milligan Member

Personally I would go for the GTX 460 based on its lower power consumption, how quiet and how cool it is compared with the GTX 470. If those things don't bother you then a GTX 470 would be the obvious choice but for me the GTX 460 wins! I don't know much about the AMD cards so I can't really compare them with the nVidia cards.

7. JWoody

JWoody Oh, were they sparks?

8. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

^^ what he said. Good cooler, already overclocked and once you reach 20 posts shipping with SCAN will be free:)

9. Aragon Speed

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go for the 470. I don't change my GFX card very often so I need to make sure the one I change to will last me as long as possible.

I wear headphones while playing, so the noise does not bother me directly, but the PC is in the front room so noise was a concern for others rather than myself.