1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help:( new mobo and PC keeps restarting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lukemm, 9 Sep 2002.

1. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

loads windows... then at random will restart the PC.

new mobo EpoX 8k3A+ have a Qtec PSU..

athlon 1333
    512 ddr pc2700
    audigy player
    gf4 ti4400

stripped system to that.. but still going AWOL :(

about to test new PSU anyone got any other ideas. posting this pronto b4 PC restarts on me :S

2. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

What os u running?

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Loose the sound card and if you have your memory configured as more than one dimm (2 x 256Mb for example) loose one of thos as well.

Try again - if it still has problems, move the memory to a different slot.

If you don't have problems, start adding stuff back.

If the soundcard triggers the problem, try moving to a different PCI slot.

Flash the BIOS on the mobo as well - When I got my 8K3A, it wouldn't recognise my memory, but it did after a BIOS upgrade.

4. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Check your 5v line! Epox boards have been known to draw a lot of power, so you may well need to monitor that quite closely! Trying that other PSU could help though.;)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

check the green wire on your ATX connector to the mobo - may not be connecting fully and not sending the signal to the mobo.

6. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys, appears to be my audigy. pretty sure having spent all morning on creative site that i have a dodgy release :( *even tho creative dont admit to it* but ive ordered a new one... as the onboard sound is so poor its driving me crazy. havent flashed the mobo bios as yet as all else seems well. but no doubt when i get a 2700+ ill need to flash it :)

7. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

oh and did voltage checks on the so called dodgy PSU... its the closest readings ive seen in a LONG long time :) me pleased, must have had a one off or something.

8. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Have you got it sorted now?

9. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

i Installed XP.... seemed ok for a day... and night...

then i came back from a trip out... took the PC off suspend and now its restarting again :( i dunno waht to do, im off to Uni on Sunday and im going to cry :(

i have bought another SB audigy coz i thought it was mine causing the problems... but now its doing the same with the other card in. so i have two perfectly good audigys sitting on my desk :(

wondering if it is a mobo bios problem... but there is nothing on the internet about anything similar :( its now driving me round the bend. TOO mush stuff to do and no time :( and no money left. i went to try another psu i had an the ******* board just refused to get past the post stage :( darned picky Epox boards. i need some super PSU to test this on to see if it is small power fluctuations or something but i have no money :( arh well... bit-tech fancy lending me one of those good PSUs you reviewd :X

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Hold on, hold on, hold on...

How many case fans do you have? Where are they placed, and which way are they blowing?

A friend of mine built a machine on an abit KR7A with an audigy. He spent months blaming Via chipsets and the audigy for making his machine crash, when it was because he didn't have ANY case fans. He had only the fan on the CPU, the fan on the graphics card and the fan in the PSU. Various things in the system overheated, and the machine crashed. As soon as I managed to persuade him to put case fans in, it magically became very stable.

11. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

hmmm case fans...

lol - think jumbo jet. I shouldnt have to say much more.

btw...tryed Two audigys now... both of them resulted in the same problem :(

going to flash mobo bios tomorrow morning. pretty sure my PSU is good enough... after i tryed on another 400w i had and the PC didnt even get past the post stage.

so here it is...

EPox 8k3a+
    samsung 2700 DDR 512mb
    Gf4 ti4400
    athlon 1.33gig
    100mbit NIC and
    asuscom isdn card.

ive stripped it down to just mobo/ram gfx and sound card + 1 HD and still the same problem.

had the same problem in both 2kpro and XPpro.

random intermittent restarts.

KNOWN POSSIBLE PROBLEMS:
    *gfx loop, i think i can rule that out.
    *IRQ conflicts... IRQs are not great but gfx sound etc on different ones.
    *could be dodgy ram... but ran memory tests b4 i installed an OS and ram was good.
    *PSU - well the one i have is pretty stable at...althought Q-Tec, tryed another PSU and mobo didnt like it...
    *erm... running out of options :X
    *8k3a+ tends to reboot itself when cpu temps hit 57degC or thereabouts.... BUT... this default bios has temp reading problems apparently... but CPU saying at no more than 35degC
    *2 always has weird freezing and things... none of that happens in XP tho...'so they say' so

Overall the system appears to be running slightly better in XP, but its only stable now when i dont have my audigy in, or enabled in hardware profiles. as i said ive tryed a replacement audigy... so i guess i might have to try antoehr sound card. i have onboard sound..but its ****e :X AC97` althoug 6.1...doesnt sound nice, and now EAX :(

well if anyone can shed some light ill send you lots of money and a new audigy as i have one sitting on my desk now :X (well depends how rich im feeling on the free audigy thing :eeeek:)

disclaimer: ermm, im poor.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2002
  12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Dont know your mobo at all.
    But i have an Asus and it has a overheat protection shutoff thingie, if yours does maybe its faulty or the temp probe could be giving false readings (seeing as you have all those fans)

13. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Remove the sound card and leave it out. test. does problem occur without the sound card?

14. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

audigy is out of the PC and there are no problems.

other than when i put it back in the PC.

15. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Try
    System Properties =>
    Advanced =>
    Startup & Recovery =>
    Settings =>
    System Failure =>
    Automatically Restart - Uncheck the box.

Might help it stay up longer for troubleshooting.
    HTH :)

16. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

hehehe I know wot u mean, but theres no rule saying that you cant use quieter 92mm or even 120mm fans to achieve the same cooling :clap:

17. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

i THINK... ive sorted it with a hella alot of tweaking the mobo bios. my IRQs are alot nicer now...although GFx and Sound are sharing...but its stopped restarting... so i darent not change it now.

Cheers Pug for that info, ive done that too just incase it starts getting stroppy again :) thanks for your help ppl... just hope im not posting in the topic again anytime soon :(