1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other HELP: Random Reboots on newish build

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr_Wongy, 15 Jun 2011.

1. Mr_Wongy

Mr_Wongy What's a Dremel?

I have recently bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM

P8H67-M LE
    i5 2400
    8GB Corsair XMS

Am using this system with an Akasa 500w power supply and a OCZ vertex 2 both have been bought over from the previous PC and were working fine.

Start of all my problems

Set up the machine and tried installing windows 7 64
    Install starts and reboots at the usual place just after step 5 completing install. Once reboot has finished windows will either unexpectedly reboot during the next stage of the install or say bootmgr is missing tried this about 5 times :wallbash:

tried using a standard HDD which works fine, got W7 installed drivers etc. and used achronis to clone the install to the SDD which then proceeded to boot fine. Was using the OS and it just randomly shutdown this keeps happening at very random times.

These shutdowns seem like restarts - the machine actually powers off and then turns back on.

Also when trying to shutdown the system normally it turns itself back on.:wallbash::wallbash:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI bios, SSD firmware at latest versions and sata mode set to AHCI

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

run prime/memtest and see if it's memory related

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

What was your previous build, and how old is that Akasa PSU?
    Like the hippoz says, try prime95, but simply to stress the system and see if the PSU can cope.

4. Mr_Wongy

Thanks for the replys, will have to give that a go when I get home @ work at the mo.

Previous build was;

P5B-deluxe
    e2160 @ 2.4 was a q6600 with 4gb for a while
    2Gb Corsair Ram
    4850 512mb Vapor-x
    60GB OCZ
    1TB F3
    Samsung blur-ray
    Akasa 500w (which is over 5 years old)

I havent put all of the componants in the new machine yet just what is listed in the first post

5. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

1. Doesn't cloning an install over to an SSD from a HDD cause issues? I thought a fresh install was required?

2. Aside from that, I'd be looking at memtesting your RAM...

3. ...and swapping in another PSU.

4. I assume all your system temperatures are fine?

5. Have you checked that your CPU voltage(s) match the stock settings Intel recommends? I've had a PC repeatedly crash in the past because the motherboard saw fit to undervolt it without telling me.

6. If it's none of those things, it could be a dodgy motherboard, as it's new. Could always RMA it if nothing else seems to be the source of the problem.

Hope that helps,

Yslen

EDIT: having just re-read what you wrote it sounds like more of an issue with the motherboard than anything else. If the SSD was fine in the other machine and you now can't even install Windows directly onto it...

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  6. Mr_Wongy

Thanks for the reply Yslen

Im starting to think its a motherboard problem also.

Just want exhaust other options before I RAM anything.

System temps are fine, will check bios later and OCZ forums seams to show its ok to image.

Have another PSU to test with tonight, just seams strange that it only seams to be with the SSD which was fine before.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it could be mb related.. the transfer is much faster with an ssd, you might try to update your mb chipset driver and see if that's any help

8. Mr_Wongy

Thanks everyone for you help.

Tried a differenct PSU last night and everything worked great, I should have really seen it coming due to the fact my PSU makes a whining sound when the computer is on standby. Just seams so strange that this has happened now, but o well such is life.

Anyway I need a new PSU (more expense). question being would a 500w Corsair Builder be a worthy investment.

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

The Corsair builder series are the best you will get for their asking price, really solid PSUs :thumb:

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you want cheapish and bomb proof have a look at the OCZ stealth X 600. I've got one and they're brilliant. In one write up I found they loaded it up to the max and it kept on going, eventually giving a totally stable 735 watts of power.