1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help selecting wifi configuration

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ferret141, 27 Jan 2017.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Whether it's due to to higher contention for the airwaves in my street or device degradation (if you believe the latter). I've reached the point where I need to figure out what to do with the Wifi in my house. I would kindly ask the guys of BT to weigh in on my options. Some of them are illustrated below.

[​IMG]

The current setup (openreach modem and Technicolor TG582n modified for fibre):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the setup of shame. It was supposed to be temporary but stuck. Note the steel door frames.

The first option is to stick strong router with 100 antennae like a Netgear Nighthawk or ASUS AC-1xxx in the study and hope that it beams all the way to the kitchen and bedrooms in the loft. Plus I can hook up an external HDD for the occasional share.
    [​IMG]

The second option is to place a strong router in the living room beside/behind/under the TV where it is more central within the house. It's not impossible to plug in an external HDD here but awkward if I ever planned to leave it in for an extended period.
    [​IMG]

The third option is to run an external Cat5 upstairs and come in through the CCTV camera hole. Then stick and access point up there. This is probably the most effective but for me it might have a caveat of adding additional layers of things to go wrong (routing, ap migration). Maybe stick the HDD up there too (furnished cupboard) and the put the router in the living room for best coverage or with any other configuration of the downstairs equipment.
    [​IMG]

Networked devices (additional capability E: ethernet, W: wifi)
    Wired
    PC
    PS3 (W)
    Rubbish Linux FTA Satellite receiver my dad bought
    Samsung Smart TV (W)
    CCTV PVR (presently not networked)

Wireless
    4 Android smartphones
    Samsung Tablet
    2 Laptops (E)
    HP Office Printer (E)
    Nintendo Wii