1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HELP! SSD + Win 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Regidet, 16 Jan 2011.

1. Regidet

Regidet Awesomenesstrocity

Ok guys, I recently got an OCZ Vertex 2 120gb from Newegg. All was well until I saw the black screen telling my my laptop was unexpectedly shutdown and the three choices of rebooting into safe mode, etc etc.

So thinking I made a mistake I chose to start windows normally. When i saw my desktop i realized that some applications were missing, the ones i installed since my last boot.

So now i checked again. I properly shut down windows from the start menu, it looked fine, but when I rebooted, it gave me the same black screen. I rechecked like 5 times. :wallbash:

Thinking that some file was corrupted, i reinstalled Windows 7 ultimate, only to find that it installed and when i rebooted, i was stuck where i originally started. Black screen then boot into my OLD installation. :jawdrop:

I reinstalled again making sure that I deleted any old partitions. Rebooted, and behold my first windows installation showed up again. :confused:

I redid that AGAIN.

Now I'm at a complete loss, with he little knowledge I have, I have no idea what to do. I thought that Windows 7 automatically aligns your partition. (yes? no? or not my problem?)

Help.

What do I do to stop the shutdown problem, will properly reinstalling Windows 7 fix it?
    With that, how do I properly install Windows 7?

P.S. OCZ Vertex 2 in a Sager NP7350.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Question: Is the SSD the only HDD in your laptop?

If your SSD is an addition to another HDD, you need to set the SSD as first boot-device in the BIOS and make sure it's running in AHCI-mode.
    In addition you should format the disks to make sure there's no old stuff interfering.

When you reinstall Windows it's allways best practice to format the disks, quick-format is OK for that aswell. This makes sure, that the bootloader is reset to a clean state.

3. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

When you say all was well... what was the sequence of events before that? How did you install your SSD and then install Windows? It's unclear if it ever worked or if you had the problem straight away.

Also, NEVER do a full format on your SSD, only use Quick Format or you will cause yourself some issues.

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Right - to cut through everything with this, basically you 'appear' to have what's termed the 'time-travel issue' & your SSD's failed.

As a quick test of this, save a test file on the desktop, shut the machine down & re-start it (rather than a warm reboot) & see if it's still there...

if it's not there, you'd either need to contact NewEgg to arrange a replacement or OCZ for a RMA (you can just post on the latter's forum & someone will get in touch).

Yeah, as with any product, SSDs can fail semi-instantly, & this 'time travelling' is the symptom of probably the most common short term failure...

if it does stay there then repost...

...though the next thing to try (if it does stay) is this as it's the easiest way to wipe a SF for the non-technical minded.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2011