1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Help! Track car advice 10k budget (Purchase done!)

Discussion in 'General' started by BennieboyUK, 1 Jul 2013.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

OK so after realising that tracking a car I can't really afford to replace/fix it is time to look at alternative options.

So over to you lot! I'm after a pure track day car, around 7-10k which can push (in terms of racing skill) a intermediate/but almost high skill level driver.

Ideally it would be road legal, but I have flat bed transport so this is flexible.

So I'm after something, fast, fun but challenging that doesn't cost the earth the fix WHEN I graze the tyre wall...

Any ideas?

Last edited: 5 Oct 2013
  2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Toyota mr2. Cheap and cheap to fix. Mid engine rear wheel drive and sporty chassis.

3. BennieboyUK

That's warren, mr2 (even the turbo) is edgy enough for me. Had a 2l GT and while fun never really scared me enough!

+rep

4. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

How about an S1 Elise or Ginetta of some description?

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

My bro has a mk4 Supra which he's mad about - it's dead quick but a bit bigger than the Mr2...

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tricky!

With your budget, you could easily go tin-top racing in something like a 106. I realise that sounds a bit underwhelming, but every track day-addict I know who's gone down that route is absolutely hooked. Something like a 106 (I'm biased because I own one, but the owner's club is full of racers) will set you back £4-5k depending on the spec, and a season's racing will soak up another £2k if you don't go mad on ridiculous engine builds.

On the other hand, if you just want to do track days, there's a lot to be said about picking up something a bit more focussed if you have a trailer. Formula Fords (and winged, low-class single seaters) can be had well within budget, consumables are cheap enough because they're light, and often spares aren't that hard to come by if you do slip up (although any slick-shod single will be more than a match for most people's skill).

As an example of what's available, there's this Jamun FF, quite a decent spares package in the price. It looks a bit wussy, but they are exceptionally quick.

Trouble is, single seaters can sometimes be excluded from ordinary track-day T's and C's - very often they're much too quick for novice tin-top drivers to be able to cope with, so they don't like them mixing.

In which case, I'd move down the scale and look at something like a Ginetta, Westfield or Caterham. I noticed this G27 which looks immensely good value, and with carbs and a Ford Zetec lump the major mechanicals are all nice and cheap.

Again, going down another level, a fully caged-up BMW M3 E36 and similar can be had within budget, just about, and similar RWD saloons. Trouble is the cost goes up if an engine goes bang etc.

One other thing, and I may be shouting into the wind here, don't underestimate the value of a couple of hours driver training. It isn't cheap, but 1 on 1 tuition with someone experienced will bring your understanding on leaps and bounds.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it - I've been ruminating on possible motorsport activities this past couple of years for when budget allows. :)

9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...ab-9000-aero--2-3-full-pressure-turbo/1503960

Leaves budget to tinker and run it, seen one beating porches 911 and m3s. Ate it's breaks before the end of the race though, driver was using handbrake/gears to slow it down.

Easily fixed by breaking too late ;) Actually going quick is a skill thing and I don't find it exciting at all, with that mentality you'll probably be wanting "drifting," trials, hill climb, bangers (your wagon will be in need of a crane) or rallying.

Also http://www.briscaf2.com/for-sale/forsale.ashx full contact lulz

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You can narrow it down a bit, do you prefer FWD, RWD, 4WD ?
    Normally aspirated or Forced induction ?

11. BennieboyUK

Thanks everyone for the comments, slight misunderstood me when I said about scaring me, more along the lines of challenging, I'm certainly not after a drifting machine or banger racer.

Single seater is a potential option although the issues you raised have been on my concerns list.

I think a test drive of a Caterhsm is on the cards. Also the M3 and VX220 are both great suggesions but I had both of those as track cars already and don't fancy going back. The M3 was a costly beast too, although the VX220 was a blast and cheap to run.

The idea of lessons is a wise one, and I'd certainly recommend it, I use www.nathanwrightracing.com he is possibly the nicest teenager I've meet for sometime, funny in fact he drives a '90 white MR2 (for his road car atleast!)

Right time to stop looking at Atoms that I can't afford and look up some Caterhams!

12. BennieboyUK

Heart lie with natural aspiration, but no preference on drive.

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Single seater or Karts would be where i'd look as well.
    probably out of your price class (NO idea what that stuff costs over there) - Rotax karts... maintenance on them is a bit of a bitch, from what I hear though.

Other than that, a Caterham or similar.
    Road legal, LOADS of crazy expansion potential, and fast as stink on a track, if a bit crappy on the road due to the lack of creature comforts.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Honda S2000, racing slicks and a piss pot. Sorted

16. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Please get an F2 Stock Car. So. Much. Win.

17. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

+1 Krikkit

If your after a good time and pushing a car to the limit small cars are great, I'm not a fan of peugeots (apart from the 205gti) so I'd go with a Clio 182. Strip the car replace some of the parts and you can easily get it down to 900kgish add some soft tyres and away you go.

18. BennieboyUK

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Expensive if there are problems, surely?

A friend had a Z3 1.8 followed by Z4 2.0 and now 3.0 - he swears the Z3 was the best drive out of the lot. Wouldn't be a competant track driver though so probably not worth reading into that.

Z3M would be in my dream garage if I was ever a multimillionaire - timeless design. How anyone could do 160k of motorway miles in that though - god only knows!

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Great car, not so sure it'll make a decent track weapon.

For similar money I'd go for this.

Buckets, decent coil-overs, cheaper engine (E36 is pretty easy to get hold of now), and most importantly if you want regular track time - a proper cage.

Not as glamorous, but you could get it looking pretty good if you get a vinyl wrap in race colours.