1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding help with case ideas

Discussion in 'Modding' started by r00t, 17 Sep 2003.

1. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

I've just recently switched from water cooling back to air cooling. I had my reasons, so please don't turn this thread into a lecture on how much better water cooling is. I had it for years and it had its advantages, but for me they didn't out weigh the disadvantages. Anyway, now that I've removed all the watercooling equipment, the inside of my case looks bare. Anyone have any suggestions on how to spice it up a bit? I was considering selling this case and getting a CoolerMaster ATC-201B-BXT, but figured I'd give this case one last chance simply because of the work I've put into it. Don't know if these images will work, so I'll try and post a link to my Yahoo Photo Album where they're stored as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Sep 2003
  2. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

damnit, the images worked for a while. My case is a standard cheiftec with a window. the bottom hdd cage has been removed and the front modded to fit a 120mm intake fan. basically it just looks empty. I only have one card in the mobo (9800 Pro), then two hdd's and 2 optical drives. there seems to be so much empty space. I think part of it is due to the fact that the window in the case is so huge.

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

use www.uploadit.org for your images! its free and its run by a forum member

4. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

thanks, images are working now :)

5. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

any ideas guys?

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Well it looks like you have the perfect spot right there for a radiator and some water cooling! :thumb:

I'm just kidding. I agree with you that the window being so big opens things up so that it does look a little empty. I really can't think of anything to put there though. Maybe add some sand-blasting or etching to the window so that it can hide or at least distract from looking at the empty space? I really don't know...sorry.

7. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

put a plasma ball there, you've got enough room, and it'll sure fill it up. It's not original, but it is still very neat looking.

8. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

hmm.. yeah.. very open.. I like Deviate's idea of sandblasting or etching... but if you wanna do something that still looks pretty cool , but is a lot cheaper and less time consuming.. applying a front applique ... or something spelled like that.. I am considering doing something similar to the front of my case.. http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/coloured_appliques/index_eng . I'm curious to see what you do.. its a nice case :)

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

how bouts, that you put black car window tint on the inside of the window, and a cold cathode behind it, so it looks like there nowt there, but add power and everything appears, even better add uv and paint some of ur mobo ;0

10. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Not a mod, but I'd move your CCFL inverter from right next to your HDDs.

I hear they corrupt if nearby.

But a good mod is always cleeeeeeeean wiring. Never hurts :D

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

put in some alu plating on bottom of case you know the stuff i mean the industrial alu sheets

12. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

the diamondplate stuff?

13. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

hmm, didn't know the inverter could corrupt my harddrive... I'll move it tomorow. As long as the cathodes are off I should be fine until then right?

14. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

damnit, I have no other place to put my inverter... I have a light at the top and the bottom of my case, so I need the inverter to be right in the middle :(

15. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

place the inverter in a lead box or something :)
    or, place one cathode on the floor, and one vertical next to the hd, so the inverter can be on the floor

16. Shogun

Shogun Banned

extend the wires maybe? :p

17. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Add a Big or long Window etch.

18. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

anyone know a place to get a long flame applique or etch for the bottom of my window? Something to line the bottom with, that might take up some of the free space

19. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if someone already makes them, but you might be able to contact Shattered Web. They do custom requests.

Also, I know it would be more difficult with the window already being mounted in the case and all, but maybe something to think about is like what Lokie did on a window in his project log here. Probably have to scroll through a few pages to see the flames I mean. They are sand-blasted and then lit from the bottom. I believe he also did a guide on that site.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'd go with making the case a shining example of the highest, quietest tech in air cooling (I've got WC in my next case myself, but I agree that well thought out aircooling can look the business, and do the job just fine).

So, smack a Zalman on your CPU. If possible, chrome it! :D. Upgrade your NB heatsink with this:

[​IMG]

--if noise is not a concern, that is... and to cap it off, a hiooj big-ass Zalman sink on the GPU. Again, you have plenty of colours to choose from, but you can also chrome them. Subtle, yet dramatic lighting with a few well-positioned LEDs (nothing garish!) can enhance the overall effect.

Furthermore; think ducting. Think effective, hence quiet. Think the high-tech look of wind-tunnels or jet engines. Visit :this: thread and look closely at the CPU fan/sinks. Also look at Coolermaster's new offering: the Jet 7:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get the idea? Enough inspiration? :D

Last edited: 18 Sep 2003