1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help with Case Mod Project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Luarana, 3 Sep 2008.

1. Luarana

Luarana New Member

hello all :p

i have recently started a case mod of sorts involving a Aluminium Suitcase [​IMG] but i have run into several problems. I'll list the features of my project first which are the sources of my problems.

Features:
    - Battery powered using an external universal battery 133 Watts but i naturally assume it can only do 90 ish watts sustained. (Yet to purchase) ( http://www.global-batteries.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1329 )
    - Build in 12v Molex Powered LCD screen Ripped from a LG566LM (Already wired up and ready to be installed)
    - Possible PCIE16x Graphics Card (Low powered of course).

Problems:
    1. Power Supply to be used. So far i have run into 3 choices. Morex 150w ( http://www.aonedistribution.com/ProdInfo.ASP?ProductID=196 ) but the problem is this uses a 4 Pin Din plug and the Battery uses a normal x mm/ x mm jack and i am not sure if you can wire up together. the m2-atx ( http://www.mini-box.com/M2-ATX-160w-Intelligent-Automotive-DC-DC-Power-Supply ) which is apparently designed for Battery powered but i do not understand the nature of the ignition "control" hence i do not know if i can actually use it with Battery and there is also the problem with the Amp Draw. The Power supply draws UP to 16 amps yet i am aware the battery has a limit. and the last one is the Pico-PSU, ( http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f ).

So my question is if anyone with any electronics expertise can tell me if you believe the laptop battery can be wired up to the m2-atx because the nature of a "car battery" is no different to any battery apart from size etc. and if anyone knows how the ignition feature works on that m2-atx or if i should just pick one of the other PSU's. And also if it is possible to combine two 133watt batteries to make it 266 watts since i dont know if a 160 watt PSU can make 160 watts with a 133 watt battery (althought i am told 133 is merely a measure of how long it lasts and it will merely run out faster if 160 is drawn???). But still charge both battery using one cable. Like can you hook it up parallel and charge it with one port and feed the power from 2 batteries into one PSU.:wallbash:

2. Mounting system. I would like to mount my gear into this Suitcase without drilling any holes right through the case or no holes at all. Does anyone have any ideas. I was thinking about attaching 4 plates to each side of a motherboard plate. these 4 plates would sit 90 degrees upwards and can slide back and forth and would be locked with screws. using this system the plates would have rubber/plastic glued on top and forced against the insides of the case keeping the motherboard mount still. But this system feels flimsy and also would take up quite a bit of space. If anyone could refine this idea or think of their own would be appricated. :grr: Also would using a perspex mobo plate prevent shorting out of pins even if it bends a little.

3. Wattage Rating. has anyone ever managed to squeeze a system into 160 ish watts. I will be using Pioneer DVR-k06, Western Digital 160g SATAII 2.5 inch HDD, 15 inch molex powered monitor, trackball or touchpad, 2 - 4 gig DDR2 RAM, Mini-ITX mobo or MicroATX mobo depending on what i hear here but i will be sticking to the 780G Chipset which is really low power and has a build in GFX if i choose not to use a PCIE16x one. i would really like to be able to squeeze a Low powered GFX card into this system to play games like Vegas 2, COD4, Grid etc.

4. Possible Keyboard idea: Needs refining. I was thinking bout CNC'ing Keyboard keys out of Aluminium or Acrylic/Perspex and engraving the letters on, but one cost involved is an unknown to me atm but most important of all is the mounting mechanism behind the key. i do not know if the machines can craft it. does anyone know how complex the mounting mechanisms behind a KB is or at least how simple can they be. Note: at any rate it would have to be a low profile style mounting which is my dilemma as they look like scissor action mountings.

IF anyone can think of any problems i overlook please feel free to point them out :D

heres a CAD of the internal space of my Case after i stripped out the interiors."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2008
  2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

You've made a huge mistake with the choice of case, it's got rounded edges, so you'll be able to fit less in that you might be able to with another alumimium briefcase

I tried something similar a while ago, and the only alternative I thought of to screws was glob glue

I'm not sure about the PSU etc. because I don't know your motherboard/cpu (or if you'll be on Atom, like most people are going now)

As for

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

For a mounting system i think you could supergue some aluminium blocks in the eight corners. Bewteen those eight blocks you can run two squares of aluminium or steel mounting bars. I'm thinking either threadwire for an industrial look or chromed/anodised/brushed alu for a more clean look. You can then easily mount all components to those bars.

This would also allow for a cool "fold-out" keyboard: just hinge it on the front bar in the bottom half of the case. :D

I think with that solution you'll lose aa minimum amount of space (not really an issue looking at the list above), while building a good-looking and functional interior.

4. Luarana

Luarana New Member

@ Bigsharn : ye unfortunately sharp corners isnt something i like :p and other cases with less rounded edges were too thin etc. so i this was the best compromise i could find at 3.5 inch total depth. Since the monitor takes up approx 1 inch and a bit.
    Btw what is Glob Glue will it hold the parts tight enough?

@Xtrafresh i wont be looking inside my mounting system as there will be a top cover. What i am concerned with is how secure the items are as this project has to be mobile to a degree i wont be chucking it off a roof but it still has to be mobile enough.

Does anyone have experience with particular glue/adhesive that will suit my needs Alloy to Perspex or Alloy to metals?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you use 'Liquid Nails' glue, it should hold very well. I've used it to hold a big rock upright in my aquarium for 10+ years. Just use it to glue in brackets. If you glue parts in directly, you will destroy them trying to get them out.

6. Luarana

Luarana New Member

:D sweet i picked up myself some liquid nails for 20 at local hardware :) just designing mounting brackets now. thanks.

Further questions:

Anyone have experience in their modding working with moving parts. i.e. using Springs/motors/servos etc

I am thinking of making a pop up DVD. as i dont wana drill a hole in the side of the case to insert CDs. i am thinking of using a spring loaded system similar to that of a PSP.
    is there any dangers of spring loading a heavy item like a DVD slim Drive or is it perfectly safe?.. "I.e will the laser get shocked out of place"

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I did this a long time ago using a very old top loading VHS player. I took the pop up mechanism for the tape and figgled it to hold a DVD/CD drive. The problem if I remember correctly was the weight of the DVD drive was too much and I had to figgle the springs to find stronger ones.:dremel:

John

8. Luarana

Luarana New Member

ooo a horizontally rising DVDdrive would be pretty cool but i dont have a VHS system

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Don't know where you are from but here in Colorado I see the really old ones with the knobs instead of pushbuttons and the top loaders all the time at charity shops and flea markets for ~ $5. Everyone seems to think these new fangled DVDs are going to be here for keeps!

John

10. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Keyboard

You could use a keyboard from a dead laptop. Most likely you can find one cheap on e-bay. (yeah i said it :) )

Like the idea, very secret agent-ish.

11. bullseye969

bullseye969 New Member

Definatly like the idea, i'll be keeping an eye out

12. bullseye969

bullseye969 New Member

I wouldn't suggest using a laptop keyboard, I tried using one for a PS2 case mod and lost my way completely. So unless your a whizz with a soldering gun I'd stay away from them.

13. Luarana

Luarana New Member

Sorry about lack of updates lately but ive had problems with purchasing the right battery / PSU combination + Exams at UNI etc and money problems :p

I wonder if anyone could help me out on this problem:

Most Small size PSU's run 12v - 14v but on the contrary most Laptop Batteries are 16 - 19v. and i would like to maximize efficiency and reduce heat generated. SO i was wondering if its possible... to make your own battery. or like redo the output so its right voltage. Or any other suggestions would be good.

Also is anyone aware of how Amperage drain effects stuff. Because some of the batteries have overdraw protection set @ 9 amps - 12 or w/e. So im wondering since large graphics cards definately need 23 amps minimum. would say a small 2400HD have a min amp too? or is it negliable

14. Luarana

Luarana New Member

Also Does anyone have any ideas how i might "recreate" a Keyboard like this
    [​IMG]
    i've seen someone make some touch sensitive circuitry before but i wanna know if its possible to wire up a Keyboard like this. i know how to write keymaps etc but then again im not sure i know how the binary code gets assembled. =\

Last edited: 27 Sep 2008
  15. Luarana

Luarana New Member

Help with proposed idea to create keyboard:

Software emulated keyboard using a touch panel.

Example: http://mash-mods.com/products/Mash-Mods Prototypes/gbctouch

By allocating certain pixels to certain keys i could recreate all the keys necessary.( I was wondering if there is software already available to do such a thing or do i have to write my own program)

Engraving the letters and other KB details on a coloured perspex and illuminating it from underneath.

Black perspex underneath all that to create black finish :\

P.s. is anyone aware if its possible to create the Breadboards that are under the touchpanel media controls the Razer Lycosa KB has or the LG chocolate phone has as well.

anyone think this is a feasible idea

Critiism and advice is welcome

16. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 New Member

thats a grate idea, my mp3 player has the same buttons as the idea you want. but i have no idea how it works.