1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help with fault PLEASEEEE!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arnsider1025, 13 Nov 2011.

1. Arnsider1025

Arnsider1025 What's a Dremel?

Am posting here because you guys are the font of all knowledge! I built a rig for my kids in March, bits sourced from Scan and Ebuyer. Rig is:

GIGABYTE H55M-UD2H
    Intel i3 530 no overclocking ,stock cooler, temps good
    4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    1GB XFX 5770 GPU
    Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3
    Win 7 Home Premium
    Old 19" monitor

Ok here goes.....system was fine until today. When the start button is pressed PC powers up and sounds normal. All fans ok, GPU fan ok, LED's on motherboard on etc. Monitor has power as light is on and screen menu available BUT I see nothing on screen. No POST messages no BIOS no screenflash...monitor just stays blank. I can only think could be broken DVI cable but why would this happen when PC not moved?! I will try different monitor and cable tomorrow. I have tried plugging the DVI cable into the motherboard outlet instead of the 5770 but still the same.
    ANY IDEAS or advice gratefully received

Cheers guys:confused:

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Easiest thing to do is pop the BIOS battery out and leave it alone for a while. Only problem is you'd need to put all the settings back in once it's forgotten everything. Of course this might not even be the problem but it's what I'd try first.

3. Arnsider1025

Thanks Blogins. I did actually have a prod at the battery but didn't remove it. What settings will it affect?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Usually everything! I did this myself today but I had the chance to take pictures of my BIOS settings before hand so it was easy to adjust them back to how they were before. Even the time in Windows had to be reset.

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

It will resort to default settings for everything. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Ninja'd, lol.

6. Arnsider1025

Cheers guys will give it a go and let you know how I get on

7. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

have you cut the power to the machine first, pulled the plug out the wall etc. The reason I ask is because I had a problem with one of my machines not wakening up when put into sleep, when hitting the reset switch I was getting the same problem you have been getting. I didn't actually find the fault, I found when I unplugged the machine, it booted up fine, then I just switched off the 'go to sleep after.....mins' setting.
    Someone else might be able to elaborate more on this, but its worth checking before pulling bits out the machine. Could still be caused by the software, and not necessarily the hardware before its not posting. If you have another machine, might be worth swapping drives first, just to see if it boots.

8. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

I see this problem all the time often you can hear the beep to say i finished posting and even the xp login.As Blogins mentions clearing the CMOS is usally the solution.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Remember to take the mains plug out other wise it won't reset.

10. Arnsider1025

Thanks to ALL replies. Took the CMOS battery out and left it overnight ( removed mains cable anyway prior to removing battery) replaced said battery tonight and hey presto! All booted as normal...few updates needed but seems fine.

THANKS ALL!!

Maybe this post may help one or two others....cheers again guys :)