1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Help with hp laptop recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by KeTZz, 20 Jun 2015.

1. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Hi i'm trying to help a friend out with there laptop but not getting to far :( there running windows 8 and 'im getting the unmountable boot volume error when booting up then it just gets stuck on auto repair and they don't have a recovery disk or key as i think it's embedded in the bios :(

it won't let get into f11 or safe mode and I've tried to boot from a copy of windows 8 with no luck and not sure what else to do :(

Any help would be cool :)

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You're going to have to download the Windows 8 .ISO and reinstall.

You will need to enter the BIOS and disable all of the secure boot features. Once they're all disabled, you will be able to boot from a memory stick or a DVD and you will be able to reinstall.

Once it has reinstalled, simply turn secure boot and everything else back on, and it'll insert the key for you automatically. It's a neat feature.

You can also extract the key from the BIOS with some software, even after you've reinstalled. Don't worry about losing the key. :)

3. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

I did turn the secure boot off maybe i missed something i will have another look in the morning :)

Thanks

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It's a right pain. It took me a few attempts to get my brothers laptop to finally boot from a memory stick too. You'll get there. :)

5. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

You could try holding down 0 while you power on - on some HP machines this resets to factory image.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've had a nightmare lately with this, if you have an ISO you should be able to uefi boot windows 8, which shouldn't require any further changes.

Also some laptops have a button now to access the BIOS, it is well hidden and looks like a mic hole. On my lenovo it is on the left hand side next to the headphone jack.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk