1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help With Local Home Network Security

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Promethus, 1 Jan 2011.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

I am currently in the process of extending my home network via wi-fi to cover my sister’s flat, which is about 250 – 300m away as the crow flies. I have tested my setup and I am able to successfully reach her flat with a strong signal. The whole idea behind doing this is so that she has free access to the internet rather than paying for an expensive 3G dongle, and has access to watch the videos stored on one of my home servers.

My Current Network Devices:
    Netgear WNDR3700 Router
    Several Computers running win 7 pro
    Two windows home servers
    Netgear Stora NAS
    PS3, Wii & Xbox

What my sister has:

A laptop running xp
    A desktop pc, running either xp or vista
    A ps3 & a wii

I have done a little bit of testing and the standard user password on Win 7 does seem to be able to keep other Win7 computers and PS3’s out. However the PS3 is easily able to access all of the information on the servers and the NAS without having to input the password.

Basically I want to adjust the settings on my devices so that no one else on the network can access them; however I still want to be able to share files between my devices. The only exception to this rule is the shared videos folder on one of the windows home server’s; I want to have full access to the folder, whilst everyone else on the network can only view and open the files.

Any suggestions as to how I could secure my devices from other people on the network?

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Have you not set up a workgroup & applied the rights only to the libraries yet? that'd be a good place to start, though accessing stuff from your PS3 might become difficult. It's all there in the help file though.

3. Hazmatt

Hazmatt What's a Dremel?

Right clicking on a folder and selecting properties then selecting the security tab will allow you to select who had access to what including:
    >modify
    >read and execute
    >list of contents
    >read
    >write
    >special permissions.

If PS3's all use a generic SSID (what it's called eg "Playstation 3" or your router called "Netgear") you can add a group that is disallowed from accessing or even seeing the files.